Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Speakers, A/V & Home Theater
 Integrating a ups into X10 circuit ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sdruid11
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2020 :  3:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sdruid11's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a basic home theater setup that I began years ago with a Logitech harmony remote kit... I have added many TVs, Ethernet switches, insteon hubs, streaming boxes controlled by X10 lamp controllers And everything works great but my issue is that all Of the devices are behind a 1500va ups on the battery side for protection and I don’t know of any way to expand my setup beyond or outside of the ups...

I read years back about a certain brand of ups being suitable for X10 circuits in a forum similar to this one but of course I don’t remember where I saw it at now so I’m stuck basically.....

Both the harmony remote and X10 plugs have greatly simplified my life and I have a box full of other X10 plugs and devices ready to extend my X10 network with but I’m stuck within a ups...

Any ideas ?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

....[email protected]
http://hpnaas.dynu.net/~sdruid11/

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  03:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are using dimmable Lamp Modules to control the equipment? Are you sure they aren't Appliance Modules? Even at 100% On a lamp modules output is not a complete sine wave and can react with equipment not designed for a dimmer. The new soft start ones ramp on and off and may not even go to completely off.

X10 commands will not go through an UPS unit. Even on line power. As they have a power line conditioner in them that absorbs X10 commands as noise.

This conditioner also absorbs X10 commands on its AC input side. So it will also absorb X10 commands on the whole branch circuit it is on. You can many times put the UPS AC input on an X10 filter. Like a FilterLinc. To stop it from absorbing X10 commands on the branch circuit but no X10 will get to the UPS's AC outlets.

Over on the X10 forums. We did have some users having an X10 transceiver on the protected side and use X10 RF commands to reach the protected side. One issue is many UPS units have a modified sine wave AC output on battery and many fried the transceiver power supply on battery or it was so noisy it didn't receive X10 RF on battery.

I have not seen any information on the Pure Sine Wave output UPS units. Needed for the newer computers power supplies with Active Power Factor Correction.

Maybe you where looking at the X10 Forums or Cocoontech Forums.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php
http://cocoontech.com/forums/page/index.html

Edited by - BLH on 07/11/2020 07:26:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

x10guru

29 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  08:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Install a JVDE XTB-IIR+ repeater at the main circuit breaker panel, and install a JVDE XTB-523 powerline interface on the UPS's AC output side. Couple the two XTB units via their digital ports using CAT5 cable. This method was suggested by Jeff Volp to solve a similar problem posted on the X10 forums: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30257.msg172967#msg172967
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  06:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you use the XTB-IIR and XTB523. Make sure you contact Jeff to get the proper wiring pin out connections and probably a small power source. As both units have a opto isolated I/O.

Jeff gave more details over on the X10 Forums.
It would also require a few transistors, resistors and a 5 volt power supply to use the XTB-IIR and XTB523. To properly interface the two.

Edited by - BLH on 07/13/2020 3:52:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page