Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Cable & Structured Wiring
 AT&T Broadband wiring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tennisbum
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  10:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The house we recently moved into seems to have AT&T Broadband wiring. In most every room of the house there is a wall jack with a green connector. In a built in desk area in the hallway there are two outlets - one with two jacks - the same green jack with "broadband" labeled and a gray jack to the left of it. Beneath this wall plate there is another wall plate that has a red jack, a yellow jack, and a cable jack. I have taken the plates off and it is Cat 5 wiring with Cat 5 e jacks.

I am thinking I could make use of this wiring if I understood it better. At the very least I could use my Comcast land line into one of these jacks so that I could relocate my wireless phone to another room.

I was thinking there is a possibility I could even use this to make a wired connection on my laptop which is also in another room.

Am I way off base on this? Could someone offer me some guidance? Or direct me to some instruction that could get me through this?

Thanks so much.

TennisBum

BLH
Advanced Member

6275 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  03:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know where the AT&T wiring goes and their interfaces location was or may still be?

Comcast provides the phone service. So it maybe possible to connect their equipment to the phone jacks. How you would need information on the old AT&T wiring and things like if it sill connected to their wiring from the street.

Though you will need more information. Like exactly what the Comcast equipment model numbers are and any AT&T equipment still in your location.

Edited by - BLH on 07/15/2020 3:28:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

tennisbum
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2020 :  7:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for your quick reply. I am going to do some investigating and pull all this information together. thanks!

TennisBum
Go to Top of Page

jetfulfilled

Philippines
51 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  04:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennisbum

The house we recently moved into seems to have AT&T Broadband wiring. In most every room of the house there is a wall jack with a green connector. In a built in desk area in the hallway there are two outlets - one with two jacks - the same green jack with "broadband" labeled and a gray jack to the left of it. Beneath this wall plate there is another wall plate that has a red jack, a yellow jack, and a cable jack. I have taken the plates off and it is Cat 5 wiring with Cat 5 e jacks.

I am thinking I could make use of this wiring if I understood it better. At the very least I could use my Comcast land line into one of these jacks so that I could relocate my wireless phone to another room.

I was thinking there is a possibility I could even use this to make a wired connection on my laptop which is also in another room.

Am I way off base on this? Could someone offer me some guidance? Or direct me to some instruction that could get me through this?

Thanks so much.

Have you tried contacting AT&T tech service?

jetfulfilled
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page