Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Computer Interfaces
 Smart Home Devices crashing wifi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Illingworth56
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  3:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

I am using Eero Pro network devices in my home, I have 4 devices on my upper floor, I have recently started adding smart home devices to my network and since then my network has slowed considerably. I have tried hardwiring some of the devices and that has made no difference. I have several tablets, phones and laptops that connect both hardwire and wirelessly and I am still having issues.

Hard wired devices

Televisions

Laptops

Phillips Hue Bridge

Cable Box & Cable box Bridge devices

Wireless Devices

Ipad

Iphones

Android Phone

Laptop

Nest Thermostat

Nest Doorbell

Yale Smart Lock powered by August

2 Google Home Mini’s

Apple Watch

I did a wifi Analysis and found that the eero is using Channel 1 which is busiest, Its supposed to be smart and change channels to a better channel but it does not seem to work. Anyone have any ideas?

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10882 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  4:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you let the router update to the latest firmware, it should auto select WiFi frequencies for best performance. You can use a utility app like speedtest on your iphone to test actual throughput on your wifi from various locations around your house to compare that with the speed test the router does on your modem. In most places around the country, the limitation is with the capacity of the isp and modem, not the router.
Go to Top of Page

amlidajame25
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2020 :  01:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, @Illingworth56 Many people have reported issues with eero and slow internet, and you are right maybe its due to channel usage, and maybe all access points are using the same channel and creating issues. It should auto manage. However I would advise you to check for its core/firmware updates, a)it might have a fix for the issues b)if nothing else you can be sure you have taken a small step toward securing your home network and all devices in it. But Eero and such devices seriously scare me, because of so much of open ports and doors these make available to bad guys..

Edited by - amlidajame25 on 12/15/2020 02:07:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

rocknrolla
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2021 :  12:44:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I signed up at least to express my gratitude for this thread because it really helped me! Thank you so much!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page