Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Too many light switches
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Samyan
Starting Member

Thailand
1 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2020 :  03:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My basement is wired in a way that requires flipping 6 switches in 4 different locations throughout the space in order to turn on all the main lights. I was trying to figure out if there was a smart switch solution that would allow me to be able to turn on some combination at the first switch that would then turn on all the others automatically.

I have a Wink hub, so i wasn't sure if i had all smart switches, could I use some kind of IFTTT rule?

If there is a better way to do this (other than rewiring the whole basement), I'm completely open to it since this is my first foray into using automation to fix an annoyance.

Thanks

Edited by - Samyan on 08/26/2020 03:47:05 AM

oberkc

USA
4147 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2020 :  03:59:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I expect that most "smart" switches requires hot and neutral at each switch box. Do you have that?

I use insteon switches and can tell you that these could solve your problem, but don't know whether they work with the wink. I also use z-wave switches but with a different hub than the wink, and this combination would work. I suspect others could as well, but don't use the wink hub or IFTTT to say for sure.
Go to Top of Page

jetfulfilled

Philippines
51 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2020 :  11:43:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, same question here too.

quote:
Originally posted by Samyan

My basement is wired in a way that requires flipping 6 switches in 4 different locations throughout the space in order to turn on all the main lights. I was trying to figure out if there was a smart switch solution that would allow me to be able to turn on some combination at the first switch that would then turn on all the others automatically.

I have a Wink hub, so i wasn't sure if i had all smart switches, could I use some kind of IFTTT rule?

If there is a better way to do this (other than rewiring the whole basement), I'm completely open to it since this is my first foray into using automation to fix an annoyance.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4147 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2020 :  03:52:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jetfulfilled

Cool, same question here too.

same answer
Go to Top of Page

Simonn
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  10:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just like wall outlets, light switches have a limit on how much power they can handle, and different switches are rated for different levels of power. ... If you are overloading the switch, you have a serious fire risk and need to switch out the switch the handle the appropriate load. '
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page