Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Surveillance
 Video doorbell installation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

pbesong
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2020 :  7:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to successfully install a Geeni video doorbell, but after installing it we noticed the chime mechanism mounted in our hallway was humming as if a motor was running in it. I took the cover off and couldn't find the problem so I unhooked the video doorbell again, fearing the chime or transformer might burn out. Any idea what's going on? it worked fine prior to installing the video doorbell.

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2020 :  03:28:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The video doorbell needs power to run.
If it connected to the two same wires on the old button. It is using power through the bells chime coil and transformer. That is what is causing the chime coil to hum.

I looked at the video doorbells web site but could not find much detailed information. Like how much current it is always using. The transformer and coil may run warmer as there is now more current constantly being use. Probably OK but the hum may get on your nerves.

Did the package show any current used or transformer capacity it needs?
Go to Top of Page

pbesong
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2020 :  07:32:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just called the Geeni customer support. They suggested I try a larger transformer. Mine I believe is 16V 10VA. I read on Amazon that that was the issue for some others too. Going to order a 24V 40VA for about $23. Funny, though, when I hooked the Geeni up again this morning there was no hum. Perhaps it builds up after time? I put the old push button doorbell on till i get the new transformer.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2020 :  10:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope it works out for you.
No buzz could be the power line voltage was different when you checked. I know mine varies at different times of the day.
Go to Top of Page

pbesong
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2020 :  1:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking the lower voltage was also why the door chime inside did not work, nor would the audio from my phone to the doorbell. betting this fixes it. thanks for the replies.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2020 :  3:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH. I thought it was buzzing all the time and the chime did sound when activated. Was it buzzing when it should have been chiming?

Edited by - BLH on 09/17/2020 4:04:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

pbesong
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2020 :  7:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No it was buzzing constantly. Never chimed.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2020 :  03:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That does sound like the original transformer was too small. To activate the chime solenoid. When you get the new one and can look at the original. It could be a 16V 10VA that seems to be a common size.

Will be interesting to see if the chime works with the larger transformer and if the buzz get better or worse. With the higher voltage and current capacity of the replacement transformer.

Edited by - BLH on 09/18/2020 03:36:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

pbesong
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2020 :  04:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People with other brands of video doorbells have had the same issue. Theys have said that the larger transformer solved their buzzing/humming issue, so I'm hoping that will be the case. It's too annoying to just live with. I do product reviews and would have to mention that as a major negative.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2020 :  10:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep us informed.

I have seen going from 16V 10VA to 16V 30VA or 40VA but not 24V 40VA.

Edited by - BLH on 09/18/2020 10:23:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

pbesong
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2020 :  10:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will do.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2020 :  06:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have done some research on doorbell chimes buzzing with a doorbell camera.

The higher power transformer may cause the chime to buzz louder. As the doorbell camera gets power through the coil in the doorbell chime.

The fix is to route some of the cameras power needs through a resistor around the bells coil. Connected from the Front Terminal to the Transformer terminal inside the chime module for a front door camera. Back Terminal and Transformer terminal for a back door camera. With both a front and a rear cameras. You guessed it. A resistor on both.

10 Ohms was a value a few users used. They used a 10 Ohm 1/2 watt. The wattage is too low and the resistor may overheat and fail.
I would personally go with 10 Ohm 10 Watt but 5 watts is probably fine.

If the chime is then real wimpy. You may have to try a higher resistance like 15 Ohms or 20 Ohms. Balancing ring volume and camera performance. Geeni may have a value they recommend for theirs.

Edited by - BLH on 09/21/2020 06:30:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

pbesong
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2020 :  06:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the lady from Geeni recommended I use the 24v 40VA, so I'll give that a try first and see if it gets louder or not. Seems like a lot of trouble for a lousy doorbell! haha.

I'm supposed to get the new transformer tomorrow. hopefully i'll have time to install it and report back.

Edited by - pbesong on 09/21/2020 06:31:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2020 :  06:40:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well a web search finds lots of many brand doorbell cameras and mechanical chime doorbells buzzing.

From what I have seen. Ring {maybe others} actually has a power module {resistor inside the module} in the installation kit. You connect inside the doorbell. To get enough power and not cause the chime to buzz.

Too low a power would also cause issues. That is probably why they recommended a higher power transformer.

I am surprised they have not found a resistor may also be needed or want to admit one maybe needed.
Go to Top of Page

pbesong
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2020 :  06:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah the Geeni includes some kind of adapter for the chime. It still buzzed whether or not that was attached. I think the camera and motion detection was just drawing too much power for the transformer.
Go to Top of Page

pbesong
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2020 :  5:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I got the transformer today and hooked it up. It seems to have eliminated the hum for the most part, but for some reason the door chime in the house doesn't work, even though the Geeni doorbell chimes outside. So unless you have the Geeni app (and your phone handy), you won't know someone is at the front door. Oddly enough, the chime for the back door still works. I tried switching the wires and that didn't work. I also tried putting a jumper wire between the front and rear doorbell connections and although I then got 2 dings from the back doorbell (like the front), I still got no chime at all for the front. Very disappointing. The audio to the doorbell improved, but I also lost motion detection that I had before for some reason. I do product reviews for Home Depot and had to give this a 2 out of 5 stars. I have another video doorbell coming to test, so I can compare the 2. Hopefull the other one works better.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2020 :  06:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the adapter in the Geeni Kit. Connects between the Transformer and Front Door terminals on the door bell. Like many brands do. It maybe passing almost all of the current around the bells coil. Causing it to not see enough current to ring.

I hope your new video doorbell works better for you.
Go to Top of Page

pbesong
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2020 :  06:34:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i tried putting it on the back door connection, and although the back door bell rings, the front with the video doorbell still does not. also tried without the resistor hooked up at all and that didn't help. gave it a 2/5 stars. I'll let you know how the other one goes. It's made by Globe and I'm also getting a Globe wifi video camera too to test. It's a shame because Geeni's 4-outlet wifi plug works great. Easy to set up and use. Was hoping the doorbell was the same, but alas. Shouldn't be that hard for the average user to get to work properly.
Go to Top of Page

tomlite770
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2021 :  08:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No it was buzzing constantly. Never chimed.
Go to Top of Page

pbesong
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2021 :  08:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never did quite get mine to work right. Even with a bigger transformer, the chime unit still hums constantly and the front doorbell never rings. Just the back one with one ding.
Go to Top of Page

jenefree
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2021 :  04:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I did not have any similar issues with my Geeni video doorbell. That sounds pretty strange to me. I guess, you could actually get it fixed by using a larger transformer, however I am not really sure about it. I remember that I have read that actually a lot of other people are facing this kind of issues. I am not really sure what caused it, however they are saying that after another attempt it works fine..

Edited by - jenefree on 03/05/2021 08:33:09 AM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page