Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 DMP XT30/50 Battery Not Charging
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Smarthomeforumuser
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  08:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Two year old DMP hardwired system.

Battery warning went off - before troubleshooting, I pulled the battery and charged it for a few hours. System sensing occurred and it passed so no more warnings - for four days.

Then same battery trouble warning. Troubleshooting shows 17.2VAC out of the transformer (16.5VA transformer) at terminals 1 and 2, but only 13.02VDC (specs are 13.8VDC) being applied to the battery at terminals 3 and 4 (by what I think is simply a rectifier with an AC passthrough for the transformer power to terminals 1 and 2).

DMP unwilling to discuss - keeps telling me to contact supplier - I understand, but like repairing simple things like this myself.

Is this common with rectifiers in this circumstance? Is the rectifier repairable or replaceable?

Forumuser

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  10:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diodes normally fail Open or Shorted.
If the DMP uses a full wave bridge rectifier. If one of the diodes opened up. I would suspect the output would be lower than normal. If one had shorted there would be more than low output. Possibly overheated power transformer or PC Board runs. Console not working.

Are you sure there is not another device using the 12 volt supply that is using too much current?

Do you know that the batteries has not started to fail over loading the 12 volts?

How easy to change if bad may depend on the consoles design.
Through hole mounted diodes or a full wave bridge would probably be not too hard to replace.
If the board uses surface mounted parts. Depending on your soldering skills maybe a bigger challenge.

Edited by - BLH on 09/29/2020 3:08:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Smarthomeforumuser
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  3:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, BLH.

Could post photo, but this is a sidewall panel mounted pcb that passes AC through to terminals 1/2, and rectifies to DC to terminals 3/4.

Measured power from transformer at 17.2 VAC at the transformer and at the panel terminals 1 and 2 (it is 16.5VDC spec on back), and measured VDC at 13.02 (spec SHOULD be 13.8 per DMP) between terminals 3 and 4.

Forumuser
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  5:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The photos show a filter capacitor in the sales literature.
If the 17.2 volts AC you measured is rectified to DC. The filtered DC could be as high as 24 volts depending on the load. Then use voltage regulation to get the 13.8 volts on 3 and 4. Along with the Logic voltages needed for the consoles electronics to work correctly.

I doubt they would rectify the AC on 1 and 2. Then just send it back out on 3-4 as unfiltered DC. The type battery in the console. Needs a float type charger. That will charge the battery until fully charged. Then do a lower float charge to keep it fully charged with out over charging it.

Though it could be a bad diode. I would suspect a weak capacitor, too high a load, bad voltage regulator circuit or batteries near end of life.

Will the console run with the transformer disconnected on batteries if you have charged them with the external charger?

Can the console run with no batteries on it. So you can measure the 3-4 voltage with less load on it?

Edited by - BLH on 09/30/2020 03:11:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2020 :  03:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DMP Troubleshooting Guides.
Cover the XT line. Some information is for the higher feature models but their is information on the Battery Charging system, typical voltage readings and how the battery is tested.

https://buy.dmp.com/dmp/products/documents/LT-0788.pdf
https://dmp.com/files/Troubleshooting%20Guide%20Interactice%20TOC.pdf

Edited by - BLH on 09/30/2020 03:50:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Smarthomeforumuser
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2020 :  07:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, BLH.

Interestingly, after charging the battery (removed and at 2 amps, to 12.7 V) just prior to starting this thread, the battery trouble reset and was obviously sufficient for several days, then was activated, again.

Yesterday, I removed the battery, followed the same charging procedure, but the battery would not charge about 11.2 V!

Bad battery, after all?

Forumuser
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2020 :  10:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you found the problem.
From what I saw in the troubleshooting information. The console does a battery test. I imagine it is a going on battery power and see the batteries voltage level.
Go to Top of Page

Smarthomeforumuser
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2020 :  06:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick followup - and, thank you for the assistance.

While ordering a replacement battery last night, reading reviews of the various batteries, I noted the general consensus from so many that these batteries last about two years. Further, many noted that after replacing them at the two year point - they replaced the next one at the two year point :-(

I ordered one built in Vietnam vice the Chinese manufactured - will see. I looked for an upgrade path - an American version, and although there are many with American sounding names, all I found were Chinese and Vietnamese.

Forumuser

Edited by - Smarthomeforumuser on 10/02/2020 06:28:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2020 :  1:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That seems to be the way things are going.
My last APC UPS was made in Vietnam.

Edited by - BLH on 10/02/2020 1:30:23 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page