Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 How did u install open/close sensr on garage door?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1211 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2020 :  05:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a foolproof way to do this? I mounted it on the top, and the problem I have is that when the magnet passes the sensor on the way up and down it sometimes sends both ON and OFF signals. Does anyone have an approach that worked for them?

Thanks
/j

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10901 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2020 :  05:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mounted the transmitter horizontally to a panel of the garage door with industrial Velcro, then mounted the magnet using a longer strip only partially adhered to a higher point on the door that bends down and away from the door when the door opens. When the door opens, gravity pulls the magnet away from the transmitter so that it hangs a couple of inches from the open door; when it closes, the magnet falls gently back to the transmitter.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1211 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  12:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wait - you put them both on the door? to have them separate wouldn't you have had to put them on the OUTSIDE of the door? You may have a superior approach but I'm not following it completely (and I think you mean the magnet and the sensor?)
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10901 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  1:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both the sensor/transmitter and the magnet mount to the inside of the same door panel. The sensor/transmitter attaches directly to the door, with the sensor reed on top. I mounted it with Velcro to allow easy relocation and removal for battery changes or other maintenance.

The trick is all in how you attach the magnet. I attached a small bit of Velcro to the magnet first. I then attached a longer strip of the opposing Velcro that is a few inches long, but only the 1-1/2” of the strip closest to the top of the door panel is actually glued to the door. The rest of that strip has the backing still attached and floats freely, such that it falls flat against the garage door just above the sensor/transmitter when the door is closed and falls away from the door when the door is open. On the end of that strip nearest the sensor, I have the open/closed sensor’s magnet attached.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1211 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  2:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so are both the sensor and magnet both moving when you open the door? My door is 4 horizontal segment and I can picture putting the sensor and magnet on adjacent segments and they will separate while the door is moving, but will come together again when the door stops. Currently I have the magnet on the top of the door and the sensor on the wall immediately over the door, so I should get only an OPEN when the door starts to open (and the magnet moves away from the sensor) and a CLOSE when it finishes closing, the problem is at the top of the door the magnet actually starts below the sensor and moves up past it and so the sensor doesn't get a clean separation and gets confused

Thanks!
/j

(Happy New Year BTW - how many years you been moderating this board? Seems at least as long as I've been doing Insteon (15 years now)).

Edited by - jeffw_00 on 12/31/2020 2:29:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10901 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  6:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look back at my last reply tomorrow, once you have a good cup of coffee. I’m pretty sure I already answered all those questions!

Happy New Year to you as well. I’m hoping 2021 is an improvement all around, not sure I could stand a repeat.

(Yep, we both got started with Insteon a while ago. Tough to believe, but I actually started the moderator gig here way back in 2008!)
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1211 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  1:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom - ok - I finally figured it out - both magnet and sensor are on the inside of the door, on the same panel, but the magnet is attached only across it's upper (horizontal) edge (upper is w.r.t. a closed door). When the door opens, the magnet tips away from the sensor. It's clever, but I'd be worried about it tipping far enough away (or eventually losing the sensor). But I'm paranoid. I found a spot on the side of the door where I could attach the magnet to the door and the sensor to the wall next to the door that gives me a clean result. What's really weird is I have two doors, and on the other door I have it attached above as I mentioned, and that appears to always give a clean result so I'm leaving well enough alone :-) (I use powerhome so I can see every event transmitted by the sensor). Anyway - your approach IS slick - thanks!
/j

(and I started with X-10 in 1981, when David Rye himself sometimes answered the Tech Support line)... :-) )

Edited by - jeffw_00 on 01/02/2021 1:10:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lakrimoza
Starting Member

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2021 :  02:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I also had a similar problem. After buying the house, I tried to make a few changes to make it easier to get around at night. Since I am returning home very late, I decided to install several motion sensors that would turn on the light. I managed to install one on my gate to turn on when I come to my house and several on the roof. Installing the sensors in the roof was a big problem as it became necessary to change the shape of the roof so that the sensors could be installed in the desired position. I turned to a local firm for help to refit the roof tiles. After several months of use, I realized that it is very convenient!

Edited by - Lakrimoza on 04/29/2021 12:38:48 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page