Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Controlling outdoor outlet from Insteon 6 keypad.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TimCA
Average Member

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  11:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,
I am installing a 300v outdoor landscape transformer for some landscape lighting I wanted to be able to control it from my INSTEON Keypad 6-Button Dimmer Switch (Dual-Band). But it seems that even within a approved outdoor outlet cover the insteon outlets are a bad idea. So I was looking at something like a Meross Outdoor Smart Plug (https://www.meross.com/product/20/article/) of the outdoor outlet. BUT is there a way to control it from my existing Insteon key pad at the from door. I'm also open to other ideas if you have them,
Thanks for your help.
Tim

oberkc

USA
4143 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  12:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
300 volts!!!??? Do you mean 300 watts?

Do you have a controller or hub for your Insteon system? If so, there might be options to trigger this with insteon, via HomeKit app or google home (would depend on controller used).

There are also z-wave versions of this type of outside controller. With certain controllers, this can be triggered by insteon switches. There used to be an insteon module (2634-222) for outside use but it appears no longer to be made.

I have several insteon devices in use outside. They are protected from direct exposure to rain, snow, and ice, but otherwise see exterior temperatures and humidity. They seem to hold up well.

Depending on access to your wiring, it may also be possible to insert an electrical box inside, interrupting the feed to the exterior outlet. In that box, insert an iolinc or micromodule to power and control the outlet.

Personally, I use the ISY-994 which can talk to a variety of devices beside insteon. When I want to use something like your linked device, I use z-wave devices like this. They integrate well with insteon via the ISY-994.
Go to Top of Page

TimCA
Average Member

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  2:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input, Yes sorry 300 W (MAX) the company is Volt.... bad mix up! I do have a ISY controller, it runs most of my lighting scenes, but to be honest I have not touched it or changed anything in at least 18 months... Now I'm looking back into it as we are remolding the back yard and some of the house. So you think just putting a insteon SKU: 2663-222 Insteon Remote Control Dual On/Off Outlet in a outdoor rated junction box should work? I'm trying not to have to many ways to control stuff, some through Alexa some through an app and others threw Insteon switches.
Also what do you think of the Insteon Hub these days? The ISY works but I am trying to figure out how to update it. It is not that user frendly. I need to update to 5.0.9 Admin Console first but I don't even know what that is any more. Like I said I have not done anything to the system in about 2 years so I am not the savy anymore. Just seems like in a world of plug and play and ordering a Blink camera on line and have it up and running on my phone and computer in 5 min the ISY is, outdated??
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6259 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  3:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you asked about updating the ISY firmware. On the UDI Forums. Where you would get all the help you needed to update to the latest firmware.

Side note. 5.0.9 is old. I am running 5.0.16C and it is not even the latest available.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4143 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  5:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Also what do you think of the Insteon Hub these days? The ISY works but I am trying to figure out how to update it. It is not that user frendly. I need to update to 5.0.9 Admin Console first but I don't even know what that is any more. Like I said I have not done anything to the system in about 2 years so I am not the savy anymore. Just seems like in a world of plug and play and ordering a Blink camera on line and have it up and running on my phone and computer in 5 min the ISY is, outdated??

I guess you need to decide how important it is for you to have the power and independence that the ISY provides. It is, in my opinion, more flexible than the hub and has greater conditional logic. Additionally, it is independent of the cloud and external systems operated by companies that may or may not continue to operate them over time. But...if plug-and-play is what you seek, perhaps it is time to move on.

If you choose to stay with the ISY, there is a wonderful forum full of helpful folks that would be more than happy to guide you through any difficulties you might experience. I assume, also, you will have to add a z-wave card to your ISY. This is not overly difficult in my experience.

Also regarding the hub, I have never used one, but I understand one of the versions is HomeKit compliant. Given this, I assume you could establish an apple account and set up a HomeKit base unit (apple TV or iPad or something) and trigger an automation event based upon a keypad toggle. That event could turn on a device such as the one you linked. But...this is all educated speculation. Definitely research this option before pursuing it.

BTW...I am running 5.3 on the ISY.

Edited by - oberkc on 01/05/2021 5:18:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

TimCA
Average Member

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  5:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep that is where I found out that I need to update the "Admin Console" first, the thread to to both process is long and cumbersome. Probably a fun morning challenge for an IT guy but not for the average JOE who likes to dabble in home automation from time to time.... I don't want to spend two to three hours re programing all my scenes and automation after updating everthing.... If there is no newer more user friendly product out there I will roll up the sleeves and give it a go...
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10876 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  5:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ISY route is the way to go. Last I looked, neither the Insteon Hub API nor the Hub Pro’s HomeKit implementation is capable of passing along keypad messages except for the state of the internal dimmer or relay. With the Insteon Hub, the keypad’s secondary buttons can only be linked to other Insteon devices.
Go to Top of Page

TimCA
Average Member

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  10:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tfitzpatri8, I have several keypads so it looks like I will have to work my way through the update...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page