Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Multiple-Outlet smart plugs keep resetting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

orlando74
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  06:07:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why are my "multiple outlet" devices resetting their connection every 2 minutes but not my single plugs? I've done extensive troubleshoooting on this for months and still can't figure out what is causing this issue. Router and all plugs are in the same room. Single outlets and USB ones work fine - 2 outlet plug and 4 outlet power bar both "click" after 2 minutes (which turns them off and on). Different manufacturers. Tried different smart home apps. Tried different walls.
The common denominator is that it only happens if the smart plug contains more than 1 AC outlet.
Would really love some help...

oberkc

USA
4148 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  08:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may or may not be able to help, but I will never know without knowing what devices you are trying to use. What make/model? Is there any hub/controller involved? Software or apps involved?

Edited by - oberkc on 01/17/2021 08:26:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

orlando74
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  08:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Issue:  Smart plugs that contain multiple outlets make a clicking sound and go offline for a few seconds every 2 minutes. This started happening mid 2020 with the power strip and I just bought dual smart outlet and realized it's doing the same thing, but the usb lights and the single smart outlets are not affected. The router is dual band 2.4/5Ghz and is in the SAME room.

Products affected: 
Dual smart outlet (by AUKEY)
Smart power strip (by XENON)

Products NOT affected:
Single smart outlet (by Zeezoo)
Single smart oulet (by Zeezoo)
USB Christmas Tree lights
other items on network that work fine: Google Chromecast, Google Home Mini

Troubleshooting steps accomplished:
Different wall, different room, and right next to the router --> so not a distance from router problem
Different smart app - tried SmartLife, AUKEYHome, TuyaSmart  --> so not an app problem
Happening on 2 different smart devices --> so not a faulty hardware problem
Is this something to do with my home wifi network? Then why are the single outlets and usb lights working fine? Why is it only disconnecting on the multiple AC outlet plugs?

So the issue is happening with multiple devices by different manufacturers (common denominator is multiple outlets). It's happening no matter what app I use. It happens at the 2-minute mark.
The router is the Hitron CODA-4582. Verified that Wi-fi signal is good using app diagnostics. As it should be since the router is in the same room. I live in a bachelor apartment.

So why are my multiple outlet devices going offline every 2 minutes? Could it be the amperage?  Is the next step to replace the router from my internet provider??
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10883 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  10:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn’t expect to hear anything if it was a WiFi problem, that would just cause an indicator light to blink our change color. What you describe sounds like they are resetting, probably due to the load plugged into them. That could be from a defective power supply, excessive load amperage, or a load that generates lots of EMF or a bad inductive kick that makes the unit suspect the load is defective.

Do they malfunction when no load is plugged in? What size/type of load were these units previously powering?
Go to Top of Page

orlando74
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  11:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Tfitzpatri8 You're right in the sense that the "Click" also is accompanied by a blink that lasts maybe 3 seconds. No load is plugged in. I went around my apartment just trying the power strip and the dual-outlet smart plug in various outlets and nothing plugged in them.

So doens't that eliminate defective power supply, excessive load amperage, and other things you mentioned? It seems to me its more like the network doesn't like the idea of having a device that can handle so many outlets at once even if nothing is plugged in them. Though I don't think that makes any sense?

When I got the power strip late 2019, it was working and all outlets had something connected. (I had also made sure not to overload and checked the amperage before purchasing.) Mid 2020, the power strip started shutting itself off / resetting and I thought I had a dud. When I bought the dual-smart outlet this Christmas (to solve the issue) I realized I had the SAME issue.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10883 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  3:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the outlets these power strips are plugging into going bad? If you plug a lamp into the same outlet and try to wiggle the plug, does it flicker?
Go to Top of Page

orlando74
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  4:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The outlets work perfectly fine to power whatever is plugged into them. But I can put a stopwatch on my phone from the moment that I turn them on, they will "click" and reset at 2 minutes. This usually turns off the lights and leaves them off. It's excruciatingly annoying. :(
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page