Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 2844-222 current draw
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fixalot
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2021 :  07:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am experiencing rapid battery depletion with the 2844 motion sensor.
To diagnose, I measured current supplied by a power supply through the micro USB connector. One unit, which I had installed in an exterior location, measured approximately 200 ma. Thinking that this is too and the unit had failed I tested another unit that was still in the box. That unit started with a current draw of 85 ma and after a short period of time of initialization settled down to approximately 50 ma. This is still too high for a battery operated device. According to a spec sheet for the CR123 battery has a life of approximately 1300 ma hours. I think this would put the battery life at 26 hours ... certainly not practical. I am seeking data on battery life and current draw characteristics. Any information wold be greatly appreciated.

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2021 :  1:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When powered through the USB power connector. The motion sensor does not go into a power saving sleep mode and stays fully on.

When on battery it should go into a power saving mode to preserve the batteries useful life. That depends on how the amount of sensed traffic it is seeing.

Edited by - BLH on 01/20/2021 1:11:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

fixalot
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2021 :  8:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BLH ... Thanks for the information. Is there any benefit to keeping the 2844 awake all the time by powering it through the USB connector? In case anyone else needs to know...When running off the USB connector, the idle state is about 100 ma with an insignificant increase when triggered. When running off the battery terminals, the idle current on a new out of the box 2844 is .06 ma at 3.3 volts, .07 ma t 3 volts an d .11 ma at 2 volts. When triggered, the current briefly increased to about 20 ma. I'm not sure how accurate the triggered current is because it is transient and I'm not sure how well my meters responded.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2021 :  3:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know much on any USB powered benefits.
I do know if you are using an ISY994i. You don't have to wake it up with its set button. To write changes to it as it is not asleep it power on all the time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page