Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Best Practices for Moving Insteon System
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

13Charlie
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2021 :  10:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've moved out of my old place and brought my 40(ish) devices that were running on a HUB 2 (for Alexa integration) . It was my 2nd or 3rd HUB so I had a few issues with broken/half links at my old place.

New house is bigger and I've purchased an additional 20 devices. I'm currently installing everything and factory resetting my old switches/keypads as I go. I'm waiting to plug in the HUB and program everything until I know I have enough devices installed to get signal everywhere.

My intention is to start completely fresh here and set-up everything from scratch.

Devices include:
ToggleLincs, KeypadLincs, FanLincs, Plug-In Dimmer Modules, Mini-Remotes, Door Sensors, Leak Sensors and Motion Sensors.

Here are my thoughts on the HUB.
1.) Remove devices, scenes, etc. from old HUB before factory resetting it.
2.) Buy a new HUB to keep from having to do extra work above because I always seem to get an error message removing stuff and have to do it several times.
3.) Buy an IYS controller and pay monthly/yearly for Alexa integration :(

Please let me know what you think and what else I might not be thinking of.

Thanks! - Charlie

oberkc

USA
4147 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2021 :  04:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why are you purchasing a new hub if you are going to use an ISY with portal subscription (for alexa integration)?

If you are moving to an ISY, I would not bother removing devices from the old hub. I would simply factory reset each of the insteon devices that you intend to add to the ISY (arguably a good practice in most cases) and go forward from there. I don't see any reason to take the time to remove them from a hub or keep a hub or purchase a new hub.
Go to Top of Page

13Charlie
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2021 :  1:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry I wasn't super clear, but I was talking those out as my 3 different routes to go.
Sounds like you would go the ISY route(?) in my situation. If so, what possible headaches would you foresee?

As far as removing devices scenes etc. from the old hub: I saw this on a "Factory Resetting Insteon Devices" page.

"If you intend to remove Insteon Hub from your home, you should first delete all scenes and devices using the Insteon App prior to performing a factory reset. If you don't first delete the linked Insteon devices, your remaining Insteon devices will continue to look for your missing Insteon Hub and degrade your home's Insteon performance.

After you have deleted all scenes and devices, delete your Insteon account using the Insteon app."

Edited by - 13Charlie on 01/22/2021 1:48:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4147 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2021 :  3:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct, I misunderstood.

I use an ISY and am a big fan. I have never used a hub, so what I know about it is second-hand, at best.

For me, this is a no-brainer: ISY-994. The conditionsl logic is superior. Compatibilty with zwave devices is a wonderful feature. Integration with a large variety of other gadgets such as Hue devices, Harmony hubs, Lifx, Lutron, MyQ, Sonons, etc...(requires additional hardware “Polisy”) is good. Other features not mentioned.

Downside? You may not care about automation (versusremote control) as much as do I. Apple homekit not an option on ISY. Increased complexity. Higher cost. It is hard to say that one is the best option for everyone.

Have you ever wanted to do something with the hub but could not? Are you happy with the hub?

Edited by - oberkc on 01/23/2021 03:21:35 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page