Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Insteon with no neutral wire
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wgadsby
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2021 :  2:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several keypadlinc and switchlinc modules I'd like to install. Several locations in my home have no neutral connections at the wallbox where the switch is to be mounted. Hot and neutral are routed directly to the light fixture. The light is connected to neutral in the ceiling box. The hot and second load connections are routed down to the existing switch in the wall box i.e. there are two leads.

I did some searching on the smarthome site and found an inline switch, the 2475SDB. It seems it would be possible to overcome the lack of a neutral wire by doing the following:
- use an inline switch in the light box to control the light itself.
- change the wiring between the celing box and wall box from hot and load to instead run hot and neutral between boxes.
- wire a second switch in the wall box with no load connection, only to send commands over the power line.

After looking at the 2475 more closely, it really looks like it's a standard switchlinc without the front panel. The size, wire gauges and specs are similar and it seems I could just remove the paddle from one of my other switchlincs and use that instead.

Is this feasible? Are there any drawbacks in doing it this way? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

x10guru

29 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2021 :  08:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is feasible to do as you say, i.e. to use a switchlinc with the paddle removed in the ceiling box, and another switchlinc or keypadlinc in the wall box with no load connection. The only drawback is that it might be difficult to physically install the switchlinc in the ceiling box, depends on how much room you have in the ceiling box.

Insteon makes a 2-wire dimmer switch (2474D) for exactly your situation. There is no need to re-wire anything in the ceiling box, just install the 2474D in the wall box. However, the 2474D is a RF only device, so you must have at least one Insteon dual-band device installed nearby for the 2474D to work. Also, there is a minimum load requirement of 25 watts for the 2474D, meaning it requires an incandescent bulb load, not an LED bulb load.

Insteon used to sell the 2442-222 and 2443-222 micro modules which are much easier to fit into a ceiling box, but both are currently listed as "sold out" and have probably been discontinued.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2021 :  10:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2474D also steals power through the Load. So in your Switch Loop it would work with an incandescent type load.
It would not work if you tried your rewiring Line and Neutral to the switches positions.
Go to Top of Page

wgadsby
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2021 :  2:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. I'll see how much room I have in the ceiling box, to see if the switchlinc fits. Otherwise I'll keep the 2474D in mind.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page