Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 WM100 Ghost Events
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bevhoward
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2021 :  09:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit bevhoward's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have multiple WM100 controllers at different locations and, for the most part and with difficulty, they meet several needs, but they are maddening.

At the moment, I am trying to deal with one of the WM100 that I was finally able to track down as the source for "ghost" X10 events that are not shown in the device schedules... in fact;
  • The Ghost events device entries have no schedules
  • No scenes on device
  • No rooms on device

I have done a complete reset on the wm100 and manually re-entered all of the devices, but the events continue to happen.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to to recover this wm100's functionality?

Thanks in advance,
Beverly Howard

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10891 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2021 :  10:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you have multiple, you may want to temporarily remove the suspect unit and replace it with a known-good module. If the problems disappear, that suggests a bad interface; if the problems appear on the known-good unit, then you know external factors are in play.

I suggest this because long before x10 started selling that gadget, I used to see all kinds of x10 ‘ghost events’ coming across the power line due to power line noise—sometimes produced in the same house, sometimes from a neighboring house sharing the same utility transformer. The x10 protocol is pretty basic, so noise leaking out from motors and switching power supplies can wreak havoc.
Go to Top of Page

bevhoward
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2021 :  10:34:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit bevhoward's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response.

I have multiple WM100's at different locations around the country, so, I don't have one available to replace this one.

I am certain that this is a WM100 server/database issue rather than a noise related trigger.

The events happen at the same time of day every day for two different x10 addresses.

After I unplugged the suspect WM100 unit, the un-programmed events stopped.

Even with a "reduced price" another WM100 costs $110 and this event problem coupled with a serious AC line noise problem has me taking steps to end almost half a century of using X10.

Thanks again,
Beverly Howard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page