Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Controlling existing and new lighting with 2switch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RosPlays
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2021 :  8:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

This is my first time doing anything smart in my home and I'd like to start small to see where this all goes and I need a little guidance.

I have an existing non-smart light hooked up to an existing non-smart light switch. I would like to add LED strip lights to the room and somehow incorporate both lights into one switch and then also have another switch or remote control that I could put on the other side of the room that would control the LED strip lights. This "other side of the room" does not have an existing light switch to replace. I'm looking for product recommendations and really an explanation of how smart switches work. If I turn on a smart switch, I assume it will turn on the non-smart light, but any ideas on how I would be able to switch on the LED Strip light?

TLDR: I want 1 Light, 1 LED strip light, 2 switches on either side of the room but only one side can be wired into the wall. How can I control both lights seperately with each switch?

oberkc

USA
4154 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  4:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, I expect all lights will require access to power. Were you planning to connect your strip lights to the same power as your existing fixture?

What method did you envision to be able to separately control two lights with a single switch? A single tap versus double tap? Quick tap versus tap-and-hold? I am not sure that I understand what you want here.

What do you mean by “smart”? Do you want automation? Remote control via wifi? Something else?

Certainly, I have seen options where one can install a module for each fixture or strip light. These modules could go into the electrical box at each location. I have seen battery-operated switches.
Go to Top of Page

RosPlays
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  10:43:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for responding. I really don't have any requirements about the things you've mentioned. I'm looking for the cheapest way to build this. I'd like the end result to be any number of light switches at one end to control the LED strips and the regular light separately and at the other end, 1 switch controlling the LED lights exclusively.

- Not sure how I would connect the LED strips to the same power as it is an existing ceiling light.
- I'm open to different switches, I like being able to control both lights on the one end with the same switch but even separate switches would work. I'm more concerned with how to connect a switch to the LED lights via.. bluetooth? As I would like to have multiple lighting scenes set up to switch between, I assume it would be better to have its own dedicated switch for the LED Strip. The existing ceiling light does not need to be included in these scenes but would be nice if it was.
- When I say smart I mean being able to control the LED strips via a switch over Bluetooth/wifi, whatever it might be. As mentioned earlier I would also like to have preset scenes to switch between and might consider adding sound effects to the scene when powering it on in the future.
- I think I would be more interested in a battery-operated switch on the end without an existing light switch but I'm open to ideas on the other end.

As I know these switches can cost quite a bit, I am primarily looking for a cheap solution but also an effective solution to be able to control the scenes. I'm also interested in finding cheap solution to control the LED strips and maybe a module or software I can add into the mix afterwards to control scenes. This is the LED strip that I bought: https://www.amazon.ca/Voneta-Changing-Control-Decoration-Multi-Color/dp/B08T695S2L/ref=pd_cart_rp_1_1/136-6619920-2354850?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B08T695S2L&pd_rd_r=f1b6eaca-051c-4b65-a0c4-3e8cf5579da6&pd_rd_w=GfQbg&pd_rd_wg=tf28N&pf_rd_p=66d10010-315a-4208-b938-554091069d6a&pf_rd_r=MMT2J7YMJ2TG61ZREMDK&psc=1&refRID=MMT2J7YMJ2TG61ZREMDK
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4154 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  5:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Besides wifi and bluetooth, there are zwave and insteon (I use these) and zigbee. There are probably others. I think the most likely source for the little modules to put into the fixtre box would be zwave and inteon. To be fair, I saw mention of some wifi modules that could control your lighting, but they seemed to be aimed at those who like to write software.

Regarding your strip lights, you might want to check what happens when the loose power, then get it back. Do they return to the levels when last powered? Do they always start in the off condition?

Regardless, you will likely have to rewire some things. Are you up for that?

Look up insteon micro module, insteon switches, insteon keypads, and insteon mini remote. These are the kinds of devices I would use. There are probably other brands, but this should get you started.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page