Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Computer Interfaces
 Activehome Pro issues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tipiford
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2021 :  3:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having used X10 for more than 40 years, and migrating from CP290 to CM15a and Activehome Pro several years ago (when computers no longer came with serial ports) we have lately experienced issues with AHP not sending signals programmed in the interface. Here are some the pertinent facts:

a. Activehome Pro (AHP) is installed on Windows 10 Pro And has been working flawlessly until lately.
b. Palm Pad transmits ALL signals through the CM15a transceiver (10 modules).
c. AHP CM15 Transmits signals to all modules except 3, one Indoor, and two "Outdoor" ("Rooms")
d. Using AHP's manual controls, the problem modules will turn not turn on with AHP's manual buttons, but will turn off with them.
e. One of the outside modules will turn on with the timer, but not the other two.
f. All X10 modules are on one phase.

Totally baffled.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10955 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2021 :  3:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an observation about point D: normally the complaint is reversed—can turn on but not off.

Is the behavior different if you turn on all modules first vs. if all modules are off then you try to control the troublesome modules? I’m wondering if you are seeing interference related to time of day or loads in use, that might shed light on a troubleshooting pathway.
Go to Top of Page

tipiford
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2021 :  7:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

Just an observation about point D: normally the complaint is reversed—can turn on but not off.

Is the behavior different if you turn on all modules first vs. if all modules are off then you try to control the troublesome modules? I’m wondering if you are seeing interference related to time of day or loads in use, that might shed light on a troubleshooting pathway.

The concern is not so much manually controlling any of the modules from AHP-although that is indicative of a fault-all of the modules are absolutely manually controlled by a Palm Pad, but the timer settings in AHP are not turning on some modules when they should, and at other times not turning on other modules (which it turned on) off.

I have reinstalled AHP several times with new copies of AHP 3.318 to no avail (also setting compatibility mode to XP). I get similar errors with a CM19 transceiver, which, to me. narrows this issue down, either to the AMP software or to Windows 10.

As to time of day, and loads, I've tinkered with this morning noon and night (there usually are no loads here), and we're 4 residences down from our transformer in a small neighborhood.

Thanx for the ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10955 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2021 :  8:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are you determining that the AHP interface isn’t transmitting vs. the modules aren’t receiving?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6370 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2021 :  03:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may want to also ask in the X10 Forums. As we have sections on AHP.
https://forums.x10.com/

Jeff has a good set of troubleshooting tutorials. You may want to look at.
https://jvde.us/wpwebsite/?page_id=168

Edited by - BLH on 04/12/2021 03:40:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

tipiford
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2021 :  1:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

How are you determining that the AHP interface isn’t transmitting vs. the modules aren’t receiving?

Our remotes (3 PalmPads and 1 SlimLine) all turn on and off all of our Lamp/Appliance modules transmitting through the transceiver. The AHP interface will manually turn on most of the modules, but not all; the same applies with the interface timers.
Go to Top of Page

tipiford
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2021 :  1:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

You may want to also ask in the X10 Forums. As we have sections on AHP.
https://forums.x10.com/

Jeff has a good set of troubleshooting tutorials. You may want to look at.
https://jvde.us/wpwebsite/?page_id=168

I wasn't aware of the troubleshooting tutorials, and thought this site was the X10 forum; I will certainly check out both sites.

Thanx

Edited by - tipiford on 04/12/2021 1:43:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

x10guru

32 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2021 :  6:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many know bugs in AHP 3.318
https://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22373.msg127475#msg127475
but I suspect your problem is signal interference or noise.

Palm Pads tend to send the signal multiple times, which could explain why they still work, whereas the one-shot signals from the manual AHP controls and timers are not being recognized by the 3 problem modules.

Anything new added recently (such as LED bulbs) that could be causing signal interference?

Have you tried moving the CM15A, for instance, to an outlet located as close as possible to the circuit breaker panel?
Go to Top of Page

tipiford
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2021 :  09:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Issue, finally resolved, whew.

When we downsized from our former home, both our electrical panels had a left leg and a right leg, each of which was a 120 volt phase. Taking up residence here in our new home (well, 5 years now) we brought our Leviton HCA02 with us and it served us well until a year or so ago when it died. We tried two XPCPs, both of which failed within a few months, when I decided to put all X10 units on one phase. I assumed the phases were left leg/right leg, but careless me, was not paying close enough attention.

So, now, I do have all units on one phase (as I had wrongly, previously thought), and all is working properly.

I wish to thank you all for your helpful comments and advice.

-Tip

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page