Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 OpenHAB or home assistant?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jetfulfilled
Average Member

Philippines
96 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2021 :  10:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,

I would like to ask opinions if which of the two works better, OpenHAB or home assistant? Though, I'm considering OpenHAB since it provides a uniform user interface and a common approach to automation rules across the entire system, regardless of the number of manufacturers and sub-systems involved. On the other hand, Home Assistant works the same but, with more frequent updates. Between the two, what do you prefer to use?

jetfulfilled

lilyoyo1

341 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2021 :  04:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both are free so why not try one. If you don't like it, you can always switch to the other.
Go to Top of Page

jetfulfilled
Average Member

Philippines
96 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2021 :  03:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, its feasible to try both since its free but, you know, just want to save some time that's why I'm asking other's opinions =) Besides, I might miss something..

jetfulfilled
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

341 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2021 :  4:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason I say try both is that they both have pros and cons. What fits one person may not fit another. For example, I use the isy994. Can't stand homeseer (which is still a good system). A Friend of mine is the opposite of me in that he like the options that homeseer has vs how the isy does things.

Asking either one of us would yield different answers all the while by you may be missing out on something...As the old saying goes; Experience is the best teacher.

Go to Top of Page

whitecharger

Philippines
42 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2021 :  08:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, better try both as experience is the best teacher
Though I'm using a home assistant, and it's functioning perfectly for my needs. As to the updates, I got no issues with them.

whitecharger
Go to Top of Page

jetfulfilled
Average Member

Philippines
96 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2021 :  10:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your recommendations. Still thinking twice if I will try both. OpenHAB's reviews are good and so with Home Assistant. Still torn. But I think I am gonna try OpenHAB first.

jetfulfilled
Go to Top of Page

Gunn

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2021 :  2:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried to use OpenHAB, but it was difficult with Insteon devices. Now this was over a year ago, so...have they improved their Insteon support? I think that is the main stumbling block. I was very annoyed that it wasn't very well supported. I don't think it's the developer's fault, but more so lack of support from Insteon...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page