Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 Smart Homes easy to hack ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gyyy
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2021 :  11:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep reading more and more things about smart homes that was hacked, I saw one about a smart camera that was hacked and the hacker was talking to her kid, they should not be so easy to hack.

"How to Prevent your smart home from being hacked - An expert opinion"

Search for this on Google.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10955 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2021 :  12:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

The honest articles that talk about ‘hacking’ usually point out that users didnt read or follow directions. Either they didn’t change the password from factory default or they reused a password from another site that had already been compromised.

Manufacturers have gotten a lot better in the last several years. Most now force you to set a new password and create two-factor authentication when you set them up. You don’t have to bust the budget to get expensive equipment for that, even the cheapest Wyze cams use 2FA now. Just don’t buy old equipment that has already been compromised.
Go to Top of Page

gyyy
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2021 :  1:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

The honest articles that talk about ‘hacking’ usually point out that users didnt read or follow directions. Either they didn’t change the password from factory default or they reused a password from another site that had already been compromised.

Manufacturers have gotten a lot better in the last several years. Most now force you to set a new password and create two-factor authentication when you set them up. You don’t have to bust the budget to get expensive equipment for that, even the cheapest Wyze cams use 2FA now. Just don’t buy old equipment that has already been compromised.

I kept on reading about this and it was writted by Simus they are cybersecurity company for smart devices. I actually ended up scanning my home network and it showed me some password breach because of a leak, the manufacturers may have gotten to the leak much later, I have to know right away.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10955 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2021 :  2:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hold on, let me get this straight.

You let a Sith warlord, the one who trained the Dark Lord Darth Naga Sadow, into your network to scan for vulnerabilities? That doesn’t sound like a good idea at all. 😅

We haven’t seen you in this forum before your recommendation today. What brings you by? Are you affiliated with that group?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page