Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Better way to detect gdoor open/close? (not sensr)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1211 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2021 :  5:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty good with insteon, but I am getting frustrated with the open/close sensors I have in my garage to detect door open/close. I have the RF receiver in my garage about 10-15 ft. from the sensors. The sensors don't always send clean "on" "off", so I programmed Powerhome to detect ANY burst of signals within a several-second window as a toggle (closed -> open or vice-versa). But things still don't work solidly. Sometimes the sensor sends a blast of "cleanup" a couple of minutes after an event (which gets interpreted as another event). Sometimes a sensor doesn't fire at all. I've even replaced one of them with a new unit and the behavior is the same. I do check the batteries and they're fine (I use lithium ones).

Anyway - Has anyone found better way to detect garage door open/close? I might do better (if I could get them) to put synchrolinc (power sensors) on the Garage door openers themselves :-( Thanks in advance for any clever ideas.

BLH
Advanced Member

6319 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2021 :  03:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the synchrolinc modules. Discontinued as you pointed out.
If you want to sense the AC motor current. They do make self powered current sensor modules. That have a dry contact relay output. That can be connected to an I/OLinc sensor input to send Insteon On and Off commands.
The MAMAC Systems CT-800 is one.0.5A AC to 200A AC sensing current rating.

The SZC23-NO-AL-CH is one I picked up on Ebay. Off hand I do not remember it specification. I believe it has a slight delay in it output. As the internal circuit has to power up from the AC current.

I have seen how to tutorials with the CT-800 on Cocoontech forums. End of dryer running was one.

Sensing the openers AC current would not detect Open or Closed. Only the opener had been run.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/page/articles/_/tutorials/home-automation-tutorials/how-to-monitor-the-status-of-your-appliances-using-current-sensors-r58

Edited by - BLH on 05/24/2021 03:56:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1211 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2021 :  05:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks BLH - I'm not sensing open/closed now. :-( Still wondering if there's another single-unit solution (maybe a better sensor...)
Go to Top of Page

jetfulfilled
Average Member

Philippines
96 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2021 :  7:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about using magnetic field? I have watched a tutorial in YouTube on how to install and how it works. I haven't try it personally so I can't give an opinion about it.

jetfulfilled
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page