Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 "Cannot determine Insteon Engine"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stephen Manes
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2021 :  6:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stephen Manes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My older In-LineLinc (2475S) started acting up (the relay would flash on/off every couple of seconds) so I purchased a new 2475SDB. I'm guessing the "DB" suffix is "Dual Band". Whatever, I can't get the ISY99 to add it. I selected Link Management -> New INSTEON/A10/X10 Device, gave it the device code (56.18.5A) and selected the Device Type pulldown option: "(2475SDB) Dual Band InlineLinc On/Off Switch" and clicked "Ok". The ISY gets through 6% and then dumps the error

The following devices could not be added:

56.18.5A (2475SDB) Dual Band InlineLinc On/Off Switch v.00
- Cannot determine Insteon Engine

I've tested the device with its onboard on/off switch and verified that it works with the lights its controlling. And the ISY99 didn't have a problem communicating with the old 2475S in the same ceiling box for years. I also tried using Auto Discover. I rebooted the ISY99 in case there was an issue with a stale core. I've looked at the logs and they weren't helpful.

What am I missing? Is there anything else I can try?

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10908 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2021 :  7:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check with the ISY folks to be sure, but you probably need to either update the ISY for it to recognize the new device firmware or add it manually. Either way, check out https://forum.universal-devices.com/ for info.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6319 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2021 :  03:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are using the ISY99i and not an ISY994i?
The ISY99i was discontinued years ago and no firmware upgrades are being released.

The latest firmware for an ISY99i. Was 3.3.10. Some newer models where not supported.

You did find it in the drop down list in your ISY99i?

Edited by - BLH on 05/30/2021 11:10:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4160 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2021 :  06:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect BLH identified the root cause of your problem. Still, if your device responds as expected, I don’t think there is any harm in using as-is. If, on the other hand, you are having trouble adding to the ISY, you might skip the auto discovery method and try adding the old inlinelinc and manually inputting the address of the new device.

Edited by - oberkc on 05/30/2021 07:00:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6319 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2021 :  10:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Running the Event Viewer in Level 3. Then seeing the messages sent and received may show something.

If it didn't respond at all. Some have mistake the letters and numbers incorrectly. In the six digit Insteon ID. Like B or an 8 for one.

As pointed out. The UDI forums have great members and the UDI customer support is far better than most I have seen lately.
Go to Top of Page

Alexane
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2021 :  9:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I installed a new fan link today and have been trying to use link management in my ISY995 to connect but keep getting the above message.

I have never had this problem unless I fat fingered the address. But the address is correct.

Anybody have this problem before?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6319 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2021 :  03:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What firmware version and does the UI version match the firmware version?
Look at the modules ID. Some characters are easy to misread like an 0 or a D.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page