Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Issue adding Fanlinc to a fan with light
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gunn

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2021 :  7:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is a new one... I was installing my 4th FanLinc device into my home, with a Keypad as the primary controller.

I wired up the FanLinc model 2475F easy enough to my 52" Harbor Breeze fan. Fan power to the red wire and light power to the blue wire. Turned the circuit breaker on and immediately got both LED's (fan and light) on the module to blink red one time, about every 3 seconds. The light bulbs on the fan below woudl also flash briefly with the flash of the LED lights every 3 seconds. Of course, I couldn't get it to be added to the hub or obtain any communications with it.

After some triple-checking my wires and some troubleshooting, I found out that if it left the light (blue wire) disconnected, the module worked great. It came on with a green LED for the light and a red LED for the fan. I could then link it to the hub using the app and I could then control the speeds of the fan.

As soon as I connected that light wire, it would go offline and start that flashing sequence. It didn't matter if there were light bulbs in the sockets of the fan light or not (they are 6W LED dimmable candelabra bulbs).

In the end, I just left the light wire disconnected from the Fan module, and instead let it pass through and then added the light as the load wire of the Keypad. So it all works, just not the Insteon recommended setup as the Fan module has no light connected to it.

Any ideas? Are these fan lights just not compatible...is that a thing? I tried searching online for what that flashing two red LED's meant, but nothing. The user manual has a table of LED colors, but not of this particular one.

Thanks,

Jacobs748
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2021 :  12:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I do not recall hearing of LED bulbs causing a failure of a device, that is always a fear for devices not rated compatible with the fanlinc. Perhaps the LEDs require a certain type of dimmer and is not compatible with the fanlinc.

First thing I would do is check voltage output of fanlinc light wire. I would also consider the possibility that the fixture (socket) has failed or lost contact with the bulb. Another possibility is that the fanlinc has lost some of the links and is not responding to whatever method you are using to toggle it on/off.

Edited by - Jacobs748 on 07/06/2021 9:56:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Gunn

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2021 :  11:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. I should have checked the voltage output of the Fanlinc wire, that's a great idea.
The fixture/socket hasn't failed as I am able to use it without the Fanlinc installed.
And the Fanlinc at the time wasn't even setup yet, so it had no links. I could use the buttons on the Fanlinc itself to see the issue.

In the end, I just didn't use the Fanlinc light wire. I hooked up the KeypadLinc load wire to the light fixture itself...which isn't the recommended practice but no functional difference in the end.
Go to Top of Page

Rogers587
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2021 :  02:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now, all you have is a single hot, a neutral, and a grounding wire running from the switch box up to the fan and light. As a result, with a plain wall switch and the existing wiring, all you can do is turn the light and fan off and on at the same time. Splitting the two would either require replacing the existing /2 cable between the switch and the light/fan with a /3 cable, or using communicating "smart" switches to let you put a two-button remote at the wallbox and matching relay modules at the light and fan so they can be turned on and off by signals from the remote. (My recommendation for this sort of "spot" retrofit work is Insteon gear; while seemingly pricy, it doesn't need a hub device, a cloud server, or WiFi to work, and it's much more adaptable to the realities of mains wiring installations than stuff made by IoT gadget makers.)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page