Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 How to get motion sensor in linking mode??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gunn

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2021 :  7:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to add a motion sensor I have (model 2844-222) to a new scene to turn on my Insteon dimmer switch in a walk-in closet. Can't get it to be added to a scene.

Using the "old" app v1.9.8 (236), last updated September 18, 2017 it tells me this when starting to create the scene:

"
1. Press and hold the set button until the LED begins blinking
2. Tap the set button. The LED will begin double-blinking
3. Tap the next button
"

Ok, so I press and hold the set button on top. After about 3 seconds I hear a beep. There is nothing blinking. If I continue to hold, nothing happens. So I release. Tap the set button again. I see nothing.

The app says it is adding the switch to the motion sensor 1 of 2, but of course it never works.

If I try the same thing in the "new" app v1.0.3 last updated September 29, 2020, all it says is to tap the Set button on the motion sensor. Of course, that never works either.

Note that on this motion sensor there are no LED lights that I can see. The only thing that blinks is the light that is behind the circular sensor itself. I assume that's what they are talking about.

BLH
Advanced Member

6319 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2021 :  03:43:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have not downloaded the users manual for the 2844-222 Motion Sensor II.

It shows you are correct. The Status LED should blink Green after holding the Set Button.

If you have not downloaded it yet. The manual also has a section on linking to other modules.

I have seen on the Insteon Forums. Some of the modules became unsupported over the older one.

Edited by - BLH on 05/30/2021 03:45:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4160 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2021 :  07:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the blinking LED is (or should be) the one behind the sensor window.

Edited by - oberkc on 05/30/2021 07:04:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10908 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2021 :  08:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is behaving as though the Local Programming Lock feature was set to prevent tampering.

Was this device was originally linked to another hub or plm? In that case, you would want to use that original controller/software to turn off the feature. If that is not possible, you may need to perform a factory reset on the device to reenable the ability to link/unlink using the Set button.
Go to Top of Page

Gunn

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2021 :  10:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

It is behaving as though the Local Programming Lock feature was set to prevent tampering.

Was this device was originally linked to another hub or plm? In that case, you would want to use that original controller/software to turn off the feature. If that is not possible, you may need to perform a factory reset on the device to reenable the ability to link/unlink using the Set button.

Maybe this is it? I actually have it added to my hub so it does show up as a device. Just can't get it added to a scene. So how do I go about using the app to removing this Local Programming lock setting? I swear I vaguely recall seeing something about that, but I don't think I ever enabled something like that, and...I can't find that setting anywhere!

My "Device Details" just shows:
Name
Type
Rooms
Notifications
Display in Favorites
Motion LED
Night Only
Motion Countdown
Light Sensitivity
On Only Mode
Advanced

Advanced just show Insteon ID, Insteon Category and Firmware.

quote:
Originally posted by BLH

If you have not downloaded the users manual for the 2844-222 Motion Sensor II.

The manual says to press and hold the set button until its LED begins blinking green then tap the set button. This agrees with the old app for linking multiple devices. But disagrees with the new app. Although it also says in the manual: "...do not use these
instructions if you intend to use Motion Sensor with Insteon Hub...
Hmmm

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10908 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2021 :  10:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m not seeing the option to set/disable the programming lock feature on motion sensors in the Hub phone apps. Any chance you might’ve used it with an ISY or other software capable of flipping that bit?

(That caution about manual linking likely refers to the idea that the Hub or an ISY won’t know about any manual links you create outside that programming environment. It’s not a big deal in the moment, but it can be confusing when you want to make a few changes years later!)
Go to Top of Page

Gunn

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2021 :  10:41:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

I’m not seeing the option to set/disable the programming lock feature on motion sensors in the Hub phone apps. Any chance you might’ve used it with other software?

No, I have only ever used the Hub and their apps...

I actually see that option with a switch, just not the motion sensor..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page