Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Insteon - End of Days?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kurelgyer

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2021 :  04:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So many Insteon products have been "Out of Stock" for awhile. Is this a final liquidation of Insteon?

Signed,

Worried

TinCan782

19 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2021 :  07:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, I know the feeling.
I've been trying to get a couple more plug-in modules (both dimmer and on/off) recently and they are always "sold out"!
You can buy a Hub but, nothing to use it with!

John
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6357 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2021 :  3:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably not the end. Probably a change in selling methods or modules to be sold.

There is a world wide shortage of electronic parts. Try and find a wide assortment of new cars right now. No chips to do things like the engine control or those popular LED display screens. Most now use.

One of the third party X10 accessory manufactures said their next chip shipment was next February.

I suspect they are making the most popular models right now. While other slow selling modules may even be dropped or delayed.
There are some newly designed module in the FCC Database. Probably delayed by Covid related issues.
Go to Top of Page

meebzorp
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2021 :  10:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be a win-win if someone with authority from Insteon, (the President, perhaps), put out a statement not just about new pipeline products, but support and availability prospects for all of the old staples we depend upon to keep our systems running.

This would go a long way to assuage our fears that these products are going the way of the dodo bird.

The Meebster

Edited by - meebzorp on 07/16/2021 10:33:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

austin_john
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2021 :  08:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

Probably not the end. Probably a change in selling methods or modules to be sold.

There is a world wide shortage of electronic parts. Try and find a wide assortment of new cars right now. No chips to do things like the engine control or those popular LED display screens. Most now use.

One of the third party X10 accessory manufactures said their next chip shipment was next February.

I suspect they are making the most popular models right now. While other slow selling modules may even be dropped or delayed.
There are some newly designed module in the FCC Database. Probably delayed by Covid related issues.

Seems like the PLM would be an important product to produce. There a large population of users that have a large number of Insteon devices, managed by ISYs that need PLMs to operate their very expensive Insteon implementations.
Go to Top of Page

kurelgyer

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2021 :  12:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seems like the PLM would be an important product to produce. There a large population of users that have a large number of Insteon devices, managed by ISYs that need PLMs to operate their very expensive Insteon implementations.

⬆️ This.
Go to Top of Page

majkman
Average Member

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2021 :  09:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Send majkman an AOL message  Click to see majkman's MSN Messenger address  Send majkman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not so fast- end of days: https://www.techhive.com/article/3625886/nokia-smart-lighting-is-based-on-insteon.html
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6357 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2021 :  10:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen a post in the UDI forums. Showing what modules are on the list of limited parts availability production runs. Until the parts shortages are gone. The 2413U PLM and 2413S PLM are not on the list.

From what I have read in the UDI Forums. Smarthome is no longer is an ISY994i vendor. I doubt it would get any priority on being made.
Some of us are rebuilding ours as the power supply seems to be the weakest part of the PLM. Or trying other things.
Go to Top of Page

jackman

229 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2021 :  12:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by majkman

Not so fast- end of days: https://www.techhive.com/article/3625886/nokia-smart-lighting-is-based-on-insteon.html

Keep hope alive!
Go to Top of Page

lakeguy
Average Member

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2021 :  07:16:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The article is, perhaps purposely, vague on the details. Will Insteon products be able to control and respond to these new Nokia devices and vice-versa?
Go to Top of Page

sorka

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2021 :  11:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My seventh PLM is starting to act up. This is one from last year that supposedly has yet more revised capacitors in the power supply. I guess the ISY994i is the only product still using the PLM? If so, it looks like I may have to finally make the jump to z-wave. I've already switched over everything that uses wireless open/close sensors and instoen i/o lincs to wired hardwired alternatives that interface with the ISY994i without using insteon. Still hvae a a considerable installation of Insteon lighting controls, 150+ devices. It's not going to be cheap to switch but perhaps in another year assuming the chip shortage is resolved, I'll start switching to z-wave one lighting group at a time. At least I won't be dependent on one manufacturer anymore.
Go to Top of Page

silverton38
Advanced Member

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2021 :  11:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys Nokia is now going to be selling a new Insteon switch and dimmer. They look really cool. The end of Insteon will not happen if these products become popular. Also they have their own hub with a really nice interface.

https://nokia.smartlabsinc.com
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1235 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2021 :  07:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I asked Insteon support and they were very forthcoming - they say their core business (which I think is commercial buildings) centers on switches, keypads, and outlets. As such, they have stopped production on less essential products until the component shortages ease up. Welcome to 2021 everyone (sigh).
Go to Top of Page

silverton38
Advanced Member

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2021 :  08:04:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They need to start making the serial PLM or they are going to force ISY customers to switch to other devices. That PLM will sell the other products but without it they will notice a steady decline. They also should co-operate with Universal Devices in regards to the new Nokia line. Most of us are interrogators so we go through a lot of switches. I have ordered some of the new Nokia switches to show my support so it is time for Smartlabs to show us some support.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10949 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2021 :  12:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverton38

They need to start making the serial PLM or they are going to force ISY customers to switch to other devices. That PLM will sell the other products but without it they will notice a steady decline. They also should co-operate with Universal Devices in regards to the new Nokia line. Most of us are interrogators so we go through a lot of switches. I have ordered some of the new Nokia switches to show my support so it is time for Smartlabs to show us some support.

I agree wholeheartedly. HomeKit support for the Nokia gear through the new hub makes it accessible to a larger number of DIY customers, but the ISY remains the best-in-class option for large-scale and professional installation, maintenance and integrations.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1235 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2021 :  12:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
best in class except for PowerHome ;-) (Only because PH is more flexible/powerful, albeit harder to use)
Go to Top of Page

silverton38
Advanced Member

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2021 :  12:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

quote:

I agree wholeheartedly. HomeKit support for the Nokia gear through the new hub makes it accessible to a larger number of DIY customers, but the ISY remains the best-in-class option for large-scale and professional installation, maintenance and integrations.

If they really want Nokia to fail (and I pre-ordered) abandon the ISY customers. They should work with Universal devices to make it work with the PLM and then make the PLM available. Then they will sell product, tons of product.

Get the serial PLM in stock and just give the information to Universal Devices so that professional installers can use Nokia.
Go to Top of Page

silverton38
Advanced Member

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2021 :  12:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On another note a lot of ISY people are looking at alternatives. I think Insteon is an excellent product now and the only product with Instant on/off.
Go to Top of Page

silverton38
Advanced Member

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2021 :  12:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

quote:

They should never have discontinued it. Apple always wins.
Go to Top of Page

kurelgyer

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2021 :  1:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

On another note a lot of ISY people are looking at alternatives. I think Insteon is an excellent product now and the only product with Instant on/off.

Yeahbut - without an Insteon serial PLM, the days of controlling Insteon with an ISY are numbered. When the PLM dies (and it will) the options will be to move to the rudimentary Insteon controller, or stay with the ISY and change all your devices to Zwave and ZigBee.

Neither option is good.
Go to Top of Page

silverton38
Advanced Member

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2021 :  3:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smartlabs needs to make a decision. If they want a huge customer base to run to a new platform then they will not release a new Serial PLM and not assist Universal Deives with the basic information that is needed for them to integrate the new Nokia lighting. I like the new Nokia lighting and pre-ordered (order number NS-10XX - the XX represent numbers that are not discussed for privacy). If you work with Universal Devices then I will be able to buy hundreds of new switches and there are thousands of us integrators that will do the same. If not then we will probably move to Caseta or RA2 which many already have.

Edited by - silverton38 on 08/22/2021 3:28:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

silverton38
Advanced Member

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2021 :  11:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sent an email to support about the serial PLM. I hope to hear from them soon.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6357 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2021 :  03:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us know what you get back.
I have seen two supposed responses from Customer Service that is now a third party. Discontinued {no mention of the new PRO model} or will be back after parts shortage situation is over.
Go to Top of Page

Commander Balok
Average Member

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2021 :  5:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pity they can't let UD build the PLM. It would probably be more reliable. I'll be very unhappy if I have to abandon hundreds of dollars of Insteon because the company is so poorly run.
Go to Top of Page

meebzorp
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2021 :  12:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It struck me how ridiculous this situation is after my last purchase of on/off modules and thought I'd share my experience.

For the past 3+ months, I've been looking to buy a 2635-222 On/off module for my wife's new fish tank lights, not to mention at least one spare module for when one of my other dozen or so finally gives out.

I've seen several modules on eBay, sometimes new in the box, but by the time I see them, they're gone. Here are the lengths I had to go to to get an on/off module:

1. I added several permutations of "Insteon on/ff" module to my eBay Watchlist.
2. Then I set up an Outlook rule that forwards the watchlist alert to my cell phone whenever (if ever?) I get one.
3. Had to set my cell phone to allow an Outlook alert from myself to break through silence rules at any time day or night.
4. Wait

Finally, last week or so, my cell phone goes off at 12:30 AM and wakes me from a deep sleep. I jump out of bed and go to eBay and sure enough, someone with an excellent rating is selling three 2635-222 On/off modules. I buy 2 of the 3, leaving the last one for some other poor person who has been unlucky enough to buy into this situation of no modules being available.

My wife thinks I'm insane, and she's probably correct. However, I am now the proud owner of two brand spanking new 2635-22 On/Off modules, one for the fish tank and one spare.

This is madness...
Go to Top of Page

jackman

229 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2021 :  1:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by meebzorp

My wife thinks I'm insane, and she's probably correct.

Not so insane that you were thinking of her, and her fish tank, first. You're a good man!
Go to Top of Page

mendozajim
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2021 :  12:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the very valuable info. Hoping the the product quality is high and lasts as long as my Insteon devices have.

quote:
Originally posted by majkman

JimM / Winston-Salem, NC
Go to Top of Page

kurelgyer

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2021 :  4:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't get too excited about the Nokia deal. The dial switch is supposedly available for pre order. But the fine print says

"This item is now available for pre-order and is expected ship May 3rd, 2021."

They are still only taking pre orders on only one device that was supposed to ship 7 months ago.

Pandemic issues? It hasn't stopped Wyze from introducing and shipping new products every 2 months. Wyze is actually fleshing out a smart home stay of products exceeding what formerly established and now silent Smarthome is doing.
Go to Top of Page

Commander Balok
Average Member

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2021 :  4:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Nokia deal doesn't promise me much. If these devices integrated seamlessly with my Insteon systems, I would be far more interested. Instead, it looks like they are their own thing, based on Insteon tech.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page