Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Nokia coming in to the Insteon Family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverton38
Advanced Member

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2021 :  11:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nokia is releasing new Insteon switches the are actually really cool. They will also have their own hub with an amazing looking interface. This can bring a new life to Insteon!!

https://nokia.smartlabsinc.com

Edited by - silverton38 on 07/30/2021 11:54:24 AM

SeanM
Administrator

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2021 :  3:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to test these out recently.

The switches and keypads can act as either dimmers, or relays, (you can choose this in the app) and the app also has a tuning function to make sure the dimming works as expected.

The feel of these switches is amazing. They got rid of that high pitch click sound the Insteon switches and keypads made, and, overall they feel much smoother when pressed.

The app does not look like what Insteon has put out in the past either. It looks more polished and functional than the last couple iterations.

I also heard this new Hub (bridge?) will have all three voice assistants available so to me that is Smartlabs coming through on their promises...from years ago. ;)

Im pretty excited about all this.
Go to Top of Page

lakeguy
Average Member

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2021 :  08:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any news on possible compatibility with existing Insteon hub? Also, I hope they are not going to set this up as yet another subscription service. Wanting to avoid recurring, monthly fees is one of the reasons I went with Insteon years ago verses some of their competitors.
Go to Top of Page

silverton38
Advanced Member

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2021 :  1:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanM

I was able to test these out recently.

The switches and keypads can act as either dimmers, or relays, (you can choose this in the app) and the app also has a tuning function to make sure the dimming works as expected.

The feel of these switches is amazing. They got rid of that high pitch click sound the Insteon switches and keypads made, and, overall they feel much smoother when pressed.

The app does not look like what Insteon has put out in the past either. It looks more polished and functional than the last couple iterations.

I also heard this new Hub (bridge?) will have all three voice assistants available so to me that is Smartlabs coming through on their promises...from years ago. ;)

Im pretty excited about all this.

You are so lucky to be able to test these switches. The Insteon protocol is better then the many others that I have tried. They are the only ones that can actually turn all lights ON/OFF instantly. Maybe they will compete for the high end of the market starting with these switches. These switches will be perfect in my modern designed houses.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6335 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2021 :  4:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the switches can be an On/Off or Dimmer and not use a relay. Just a Triac that can do dimming or be full on or off. Even at 100% on the dimmer circuit has a glitch in its output.

Some have a mechanical switch connected to an outlet to control it.
It is against the Electrical Code to have a dimmer controlling an outlet. Unless it has a way to prevent an improper load from being connected to the outlet.

The Insteon dimmer outlet used a magnetic interlock on the connected devices plug. The end user had to take responsibility for the load connected by adding the interlock and if damage was possible.

Lets hope they thought about this fact. When designing the Nokia version of the switches.

Edited by - BLH on 08/11/2021 4:16:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

silverton38
Advanced Member

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2021 :  08:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing that could sell so many more switches is to give Universal Devices the information and test devices to get it working with the ISY. If this is a reboot of Insteon then a working ISY will sell you a lot of devices to a massive customer base that is just looking for something new.
Go to Top of Page

silverton38
Advanced Member

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2021 :  08:50:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just made my pre-order and I am very excited about this product.
Go to Top of Page

silverton38
Advanced Member

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2021 :  08:53:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually if they make this HomeKit compatible that would also be a game changer. They never should have dropped it in the past. Homekit is hot right now.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6335 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2021 :  05:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the FCC Database entry for the switch. SBP WALL is the FCC ID.
Internal and external photos, preliminary manual and test results.
The specification area of the switches entry on the Nokia/Smarthome page. Indicates it can be used as a switch safely and indicated it is backwards compatible with Insteon. Though some features may not be available. So my thoughts on it connected to an Outlet is answered.
Go to Top of Page

silverton38
Advanced Member

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2021 :  09:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

I found the FCC Database entry for the switch. SBP WALL is the FCC ID.
Internal and external photos, preliminary manual and test results.
The specification area of the switches entry on the Nokia/Smarthome page. Indicates it can be used as a switch safely and indicated it is backwards compatible with Insteon. Though some features may not be available. So my thoughts on it connected to an Outlet is answered.

It actually can be both a switch and a dimmer. This is the first switch to have this feature that I have seen.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6335 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2021 :  3:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen a switch that can also be a dimmer or On/Off type. I believe it is a Z Wave. Though it could have been a UPB. Available for a few years now. Now the Nokia models will also have that feature.
That feature may only be set with their new HUB. Preliminary manual real sketchy on that. To elaborate how the mode is set.

It may not be completely supported or supported at all by an ISY994i. They have already said. No interfacing information from manufacturer. No support.

I don't use Homeseer or any other software methods. So I don't know if it would be supported by them.

Edited by - BLH on 08/14/2021 03:08:01 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page