Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 what's the name of the metal round silver thing? a
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2021 :  5:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

1 What’s the name of the round silver metal part (that generate sound)?

2 I’ve tried to reduce the noise sound, by covering this part with scotch tape, foil, painters tape, rubber, cotton balls…. But it’s still super loud, I bought it to use on my fridge, the door occasionally doesn’t close all the way… I don’t need super loud alarm noise, I need it to be just small alarm noise… Is there any decent way to reduce the noise of this thing?

3 It seems whatever touches it (round silver metal part) amplifies the alarm sound…. But I still need to get it in the box and function properly, just need to reduce the sound… I already tried to glue gun the area on the box, it doesn’t help… I need directly to reduce the sound that comes out of this silver round metal thing, especially when it touches something/attached to anything/goes inside the box…

thanks a lot

Advanced Member

6370 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2021 :  03:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The round silver metal device. Is a Piezo Sounder element.
Normally it is driven by some electronic driver. Your pictures show it probably does not have a built in driver. That was powered by a DC voltage and a built in electronic driver circuit.

You may want to try putting a resistor in series with one of the leads. To see if it can reduce the drive or find the driver circuit and reduce the drive there.

A web search may find you more information on a Piezo Sounder element.

Does the unit have a model number. We maybe able to look at for more thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Average Member

111 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2021 :  10:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a piezzo sounder and you can actually control the volume. Figure out where to connect the wires. You can check YT for a tutorial.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07