Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Lighting and motorized shades wiring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NB2021
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2021 :  09:47:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New home currently being built right now and I have the opportunity to pre-wire for lighting and motorized shades. I want to DIY everything, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

For lighting, I want to wire the lights and switches centrally. I came across the Insteon DIN rail switches, which would allow me to do that, but they seem to have been out of stock for a while. If wire everything centrally, but do not have any smart devices to connect them to, how would I wire everything? I think a separate lighting panel with DIN rails and terminal blocks would do the trick, but I don't have experience in that area.

For motorized shades, what is the best way to pre-wire? I'm thinking low voltage 16/4 wiring, but there is also AC wiring. If I install low voltage wiring to a central location, what do I use to convert AC power to DC? I think all of the wiring would go into a separate panel similar to lighting, but I am unable to find resources to how this is normally set up.

The builder is not tech savvy, but is willing to wire things however I want as long as it passes code.

Jonathan Cole
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2021 :  10:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. For the Insteon DIN-rail switch, you can find it on Amazon.
2. Or you could get the wall switches, program them with the Insteon Hub, and get SmartThings to act as the middleman.
3. For motorized shades, you can get them on Amazon or Home Depot.
4. You could get the motorized shades directly connected to your home automation system, but that would require hardwiring to the wall. If you don't mind the hardwiring, the best way would be to have a wall switch or a wall plug connected to a relay. Professional electrician service will require in this situation. When you open the switch or plug the shade into the wall, the relay will close and turn on the motor. If you would rather not have a hardwired shade, then a 12V DC variable-powered motor would be your best bet.

Edited by - Jonathan Cole on 11/30/2021 05:23:03 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page