Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Simple Install wiring question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

birdman325
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2021 :  10:29:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently had to replace a number of Insteon 6 Button keypad switches in my home. I was replacing "like with like" so even though I have no real wiring or electrical experience, it was a relatively easy swap.

I also need to change a switchLinc dimmer #2476D switch in one of the bedrooms. While all of my lights are controlled by an ISY994i, I was planning on just replacing this particular switch with a cheaper / generic Leviton Decora switch.

When I pulled off the panel, I see my old SwitchLinc switch (which is totally "frizzing" so I have to replace it), I see the ground wire, a White (Neutral) connected to a pair of White; a Red (load) connected to a black wire, and a Black (Line) connected to a Black.

In the Decora switch, (I do not need 3 way), it shows that I should connect my ground to the ground Screw, the Black (Line) to the Black terminal screw, and the Red (Load) to the Red terminal screw.

Basic question, but what do I do with the White (Neutral) in the box? Do I need to connect it somewhere to the Decora Switch? (There is no other place to connect it other than to a Terminal for 3 way application)

When I replaced the 6 Button Keypad, the red on the switch was not used, and it was Ground, Black and White. This wall wiring seems to be wired differently.

Thanx in advance. (Maybe I just leave the Neutral in the box twined together and there is no need to connect the Neutral directly to the Decora switch (but on the SwitchLinc that I am replacing, there was a white wire on the switch connected to the Neutral in the box.)

Thx very much.

Edited by - birdman325 on 11/14/2021 10:31:07 AM

BLH
Advanced Member

6357 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2021 :  12:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is a simple on off mechanical switch and does not use a neutral to light an optional pilot light.
Disconnect the white from the old 2467D from the neutral bundle and keep the other white neutrals still connected in the bundle.
Go to Top of Page

birdman325
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2021 :  6:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page