Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Adding new 2nd light to existing switch wireless
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dinotone
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2021 :  07:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I'm old school electrician looking for a wireless solution to the following dilemma. Customer would like to add a 2nd outdoor sconce on the other side of their patio doors. They do not want me to run cable between the existing and new sconce as it would require running above door header, which they have some decorative imbedded model they do not want to touch. Going to basement also prohibitive.

They are okay with me taking power from an existing source (receptacle) on the same side of door as new outdoor sconce, and the associated sheetrock damage/repair with that.

So bottom line, I'd appreciate suggestions for having a single switch control the light it's directly wired to as well as new light fixture, sourced from different power. Customer would prefer simple solution, specific to this issue. They currently do not have and are not interested in grander Smart Home technology and controlling lights/power from phone etc. Optimally, perhaps some small transmitter/receiver pair that can fit inside the outlets?

Thanks much! Dino

Dino

x10guru

32 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2021 :  11:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One possible solution using Insteon is to replace the existing switch with a Insteon 2477D dimmer switch, with the load wire connected to the existing outdoor sconce. Then on the other side of the patio door, install a new electrical box and a second Insteon 2477D dimmer switch, run a cable down to the existing outlet for power, and run a cable up to a new electrical box for the second outdoor sconce. You might even be able to do it this way (by fishing all the wires) without any drywall damage. Just follow the instructions in the 2477D manual to link both dimmer switches together, so either dimmer switch controls the set of outdoor sconces.

You could also use a Insteon keypad instead of the second 2477D, which would give more versatility for controlling additional lighting in the future if desired.

Finally, if for some reason you don't like the proposed Insteon solution, there are many other ways to accomplish what you want to do ... you could use X10, or z-wave, or Lutron Caseta, or possibly some type of smart-bulbs, depending on what type of bulbs the sconces use.

Go to Top of Page

dinotone
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2021 :  05:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks X10 for your time and thorough solution. I was hoping to avoid another switch outlet, but makes sense.
quote:
Originally posted by x10guru

One possible solution using Insteon is to replace the existing switch with a Insteon 2477D dimmer switch, with the load wire connected to the existing outdoor sconce. Then on the other side of the patio door, install a new electrical box and a second Insteon 2477D dimmer switch, run a cable down to the existing outlet for power, and run a cable up to a new electrical box for the second outdoor sconce. You might even be able to do it this way (by fishing all the wires) without any drywall damage. Just follow the instructions in the 2477D manual to link both dimmer switches together, so either dimmer switch controls the set of outdoor sconces.

You could also use a Insteon keypad instead of the second 2477D, which would give more versatility for controlling additional lighting in the future if desired.

Finally, if for some reason you don't like the proposed Insteon solution, there are many other ways to accomplish what you want to do ... you could use X10, or z-wave, or Lutron Caseta, or possibly some type of smart-bulbs, depending on what type of bulbs the sconces use.

Dino
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page