Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 What do people use with the leak sensors?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raymondjiii
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2021 :  1:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to use the Water Cop but decided to try out the Insteon Leak Detectors. What do people use for an audible alarm. I guess there is always an appliance module with some type of plugin sound maker but was wondering what people use. Thank you.

sandfordguy
Starting Member

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2021 :  10:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't worry about an audible alarm and instead have HL send an email to me at a few different addresses. That way I get an alert home or away. I have tested several times and I always get the mail within 10 seconds of the Leak Sensor being triggered. I also have HL send me a warning e-mail if it does not get the once/day heartbeat. I have four leak sensors set up like this and they are working well so far.
Go to Top of Page

raymondjiii
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2021 :  08:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HL - HomeLink? I don't have that but I like the idea of a heartbeat message! I have mine configured to email me send notifications but I'd like an audible alert if I'm asleep.

Can you tell me what HL is? Many years ago I used to have a large X10 infrastructure but in my current house it's all Insteon and only the iPhone app. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

sandfordguy
Starting Member

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2021 :  10:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry - HL is short for HouseLinc the software that Smarthome used to sell. It is still available for free but is not supported any more. Only works with Smarthome or X10 devices but does have some nice features, particularly the signaling diagnostics. I have been using it for a long time and don't feel any need to switch. I also like that it can be kept completely private as it does not need internet in order to function. Only real down side is that it needs to be run on a Windows machine 24/7 if you want alerts etc to run. Not really a problem as any basic Windows 7, 8, 10 notebook is more than adequate.
Go to Top of Page

raymondjiii
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2021 :  11:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just looked it up (HomeLink) and see that it can work with the Insteon hub! At least the youtube videos show people doing exactly that. When I moved to this new house, in addition to switching from X10 to Insteon I also switched from Windows to MacOS! So no HomeLink for me unfortunately.

I also just learned today that there is Insteon Web "Beta" but it's really pathetic.

The Insteon alarms are super expensive when you can find one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page