Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 INSTEON remote control of fireplace
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Flips256

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2016 :  06:53:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Nope. You only need to change the connections.

From this:
from Fireplace switch wire 1-----I/0 Linc COM----to Fireplace switch wire 1
from Fireplace switch wire 2-----I/O Linc NO-----to Fireplace switch wire 2

to this:

from Fireplace switch wire 1---I/O Linc COM
to Fireplace switch wire 1---I/O Linc NO
leave the other Fireplace switch wire intact.

I've tried every combination of this and none of them work as I would like. Maybe it's just my particular logs ...but I do appreciate all of your help. Gonna put it back as I had it where either the io linc OR the wall switch work.

Go to Top of Page

waffles
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2018 :  7:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaSoss

Here is how to control a fireplace or insert that uses a Proflame GTMF fireplace controller with an Insteon 2450 IOLinc. I did this with a Napoleon IR-4 fireplace insert that has an electronic pilot and wireless remote control. Other fireplaces may differ. I had the help of a qualified technician. These instructions assume a Universal Devices ISY controller. If you are using an Insteon controller or no controller, refer to the instructions for the IOLinc and your controller. These instructions are sketchy because I assume that person performing them is qualified to install and maintain the fireplace. If you are not qualified to work on gas fireplaces, get help.
NOTE: Making these modifications may invalidate the warrantee on your fireplace. The author is not responsible for any damages that may obtain from attempting these modifications, either to the fireplace or any other property. Proceed at your own risk. It is strongly suggested that you make connections to the fireplace using the existing connectors, if it has them, so that the fireplace can be returned to the factory condition. Don’t do this if you are not confident in identifying the wires. If this is an existing installation, removing and reinstalling the fireplace to gain access to the wiring should be performed by a trained technician.
If you follow these instructions the Insteon system will “know” the on/off status of the fireplace and the remote control. However, the Proflame remote control and receiver will not react the changes that originate in the Insteon system. This can lead to unexpected behavior such as the remote showing the fireplace on when it is off or vice versa. Turning the fireplace off from the Insteon system will not turn off the fan or night-light if either is installed and turned on with the remote. Additionally, when the fireplace is turned on from Insteon after being turned off by Insteon, the flame height and back flame status will be the same as when it was turned off. In contrast, the remote always sets the flame to full at turn on.
If power to the IOLinc device is lost, it will not be possible to control the fireplace. The battery backup and the remote will not work. The attached diagram shows to install a bypass switch that disconnects the IOLinc so that the fireplace can operate from the battery backup. Alternately, install a pair of connectors in the 4-wire cable leading to the IOLinc. Locate the connectors on the cable so that they will accessible. Make up a shorting plug that can bypass IOLinc and tape it to the cable so it will not become lost.
OK here are the instruction:
Make the cable assembly and switch assembly.
Unplug the fireplace and turn off the gas.
Remove the access panel on the valve side of the fireplace to gain access to the wiring. You can also access the wiring by removing the valve assembly from inside the fireplace, but this requires removing the log set, inner trim, and the entire burner and pilot assembly.
Locate two sets of quick connect connectors branching from the receiver wiring harness. One wire should be green and the other white (two white wires may be connected to one of the connectors. One goes to the control board. The other white wire goes to the condensation switch). The wires from the receiver should connect to control inputs on the control board. Do not interfere with any wires that connect to the valve or pilot assembly. Separate these connectors. See figures 1 through 3 in
http://www.montigo.com/files/manuals/optional/Troubleshooting%20guide00%20(2)-Proflame.pdf
for schematics of the fireplace wiring. The wires you are looking for are labeled ON/OFF in the figures.
The receiver shorts the green wire coming from the receiver to the white wire to cause the controller board to turn the flame on. The wires coming from the receiver will be connected to the IOLinc sensor input. The IOLinc relay output terminals will be connected to control board. With the IOLinc output set to follow the sensor input, the receiver will still turn the flame on and off.
Connect the bypass switch to the IOLinc as shown in the diagram.
Connect the receiver output to the to the bypass switch assembly. Green to green (S) and white to white (GND).
Connect the IOLinc output (N/O and COM) to the valve controller. Red to green and white to white. When the relay is energized (status light is bright), the relay shorts the ON/OFF control input turning the flame on.
Rout the cable to the IOLinc .
Put the fireplace back together.
Plug in the IOLinc
Use the administrative console to add the IOLinc to the system. Let’s assume that you name it Fireplace.
Set the IOLinc options to Latching and click the Relay follows input check box.
Add the Fireplace-Relay device as a responder to scenes that you want to control the fireplace.
Add the Fireplace-Sensor device to scenes as a controller if you want the fireplace status to be reflected in the scene controllers when the fireplace is turned on or off by the Proflame remote control.
The on/off status of the fireplace will be reflected in the Fireplace-Relay. The status for the Proflame receiver flame on/off output will be reflected in the Fireplace-Sensor status. Use status statements in programs to check the relay status. Use control statements to check the status of the sensor input (the remote control receiver status).
Caution: The IOLinc devices may respond differently in scenes than other devices do. Using the ISY controller the IOLinc will perform as expected if the ON Level is set to 100% (ON). However, if the On Level is set to 0% (OFF), turning the scene on will turn the fireplace off; turning the scene OFF will turn the fireplace ON! Most other Insteon devices would turn their connected loads off.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, the link is broken and DaSoss is referring to an attached diagram that I cannot find either. I was wondering if anyone could provide more insight. Pictures or diagrams would be very helpful.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5765 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  10:16:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may want to do a web search and your favorite search engine.
For maybe Proflame GTMF or the exact model number of the controls.
I found a few sites with manuals and some had basic wiring diagrams in them.
Go to Top of Page

waffles
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  5:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I did some basic google search and found a bunch of manuals. Most links referred to the (black) module version. My Mendota seems to have some sort of an integrated controller. I need to investigate a bit closer but this requires some disassembly. I recognize the remote control though and it appears that a lot of the fireplace manufactures use it. So ideally I am able to find a similar set up, if not an identical one. Therefore, I was hoping for pictures or diagrams as many as I can to point me in the right direction.

Edited by - waffles on 04/16/2018 5:09:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

waffles
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  5:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may have found a turn-key solution that I will explore further: https://i-flame.com/products/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page