Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 insteon compatible outdoor thermometer?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

justkelly
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  4:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any such thing as an insteon outdoor thermometer, possibly with a barometer? I'd like to have it set up so that I could get the outside conditions via smartlinc to my phone or wherever. I did a search but wasn't able to come up with anything, though admittedly I may not have put in the right key phrases. Thanks in advance!

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  8:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In principle you could use something with an analog input and hook up a thermistor. E.g. http://www.smarthome.com/31274/SimpleHomeNet-EZIO-4-Input-2-Output-Relay-Controller/p.aspx or http://www.smarthome.com/31280/SimpleHomeNet-6-Input-INSTEON-Interface-Module-EZIO6I/p.aspx each have 2 analog inputs. But reading these with the Smartlinc could be a challenge, at minimum it would take a custom web page with custom commands. I would not suggest it to the faint of heart, or those who are not interested in getting into the technical details.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

justkelly
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  04:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that depends how technical we're talking. As far as the custom web page goes, that's fine; I'm actually a web developer anyway, so a custom website was pretty much in the cards regardless.

As to getting into the technical details, that's probably not a problem, as long as it's not something beyond a reasonably educated single person. I gather I'd have to be able to pull out the data from the sensor via the adapter and know how to translate it into something understandable? Something like that?
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  07:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, for custom commands see http://wiki.smarthome.com/index.php?title=Using_Custom_Commands_in_SmartLinc_%28v2.0%2B%29 You want to send direct commands to the EZIO. I am just listing command1 and command2 (command2 goes in the place where the dim/bright level would go).

To tell the EZIO device that you want to use analog inputs, send command 0x4D, with command2 0x01. You would only have to do that once (or you could use the Simplehomenet configuration utility if you have a PLC).

To read the sensor value from the EZIO, you would sent 0x4A, with command2 being the sensor number. On the EZIO2x4, the analog inputs are inputs number 3 and 4 (numbered logically for humans on the label) or 0x02 and 0x03 (numbered internally starting at 0 because that's how engineers think). I have no idea how the SmartLinc will handle this information, if at all, so that's a potential sticking point. The response will come back with the sensor value in command2, but unless the SmartLinc recognizes that it is a kind of status request (and it's not the same command number) it may not show it. The SmartLinc is designed for ease of use, not flexibility. Someone who has played with one may be able to give you more insight on this side of things.

A less significant issue is that the return value will be an arbitrary number between 0-255. You'll need to do some calibration to figure out how that corresponds to temperature. It is a measurement of voltage between AN1 and GND (I think?) on the EZIO. I believe you'll connect the thermistor to the EZIO as

+5V --> AN1 (or AN2) --> Thermistor --> GND

Someone who remembers more electrical theory may want to calculate the appropriate resistance range for the thermistor. I would need at least another cup of tea. You might end up needing a resistor in series (to raise the resistance) or in parallel (to lower it). Anyway, once you are in the right range I think this will be a linear relationship so you just need to take some temperature measurements and compare them to the results you get.

I'm getting the commands etc from the documentation for the EZIO, which you can find here: http://www.simplehomenet.com/support.asp?page_id=supDownloads The quick start guide has notes about hooking it up, and the command set has details about the commands.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

cksedg
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  11:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since this post is over six years old, I was wondering if there is yet any way to monitor outside temperatures through an Insteon device? I want to know how cold it is outside at our mountain cabin. I can already see the temperature inside via my Insteon thermostat and the Android phone app. Thanks for any help anyone may have!
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  12:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Insteon 2441THZ can accommodate an outdoor probe. Some posters reported that they soldered the probe in place of the internal sensor.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.

Edited by - stusviews on 07/13/2016 12:08:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

cksedg
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  12:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I'll look into that. At least it gives me an idea. Great forum!
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5721 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  6:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The outside probe. Only shows on the 2441ZTH's LCD screen and can't be read by any controller.
Unless you wire it in place of the original one inside the unit as Stu mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

cksedg
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  2:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a long time I have been looking for a way to monitor the outside temperature at our cabin, with Insteon. They don't make a simple thermometer to do this. Today I followed suggestions from several people to solder my outdoor probe to the contacts on the 2441THZ remote thermostat. It was pretty easy to do, and works like a charm. Problem solved! Thanks to those who suggested this!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page