Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 KeypadLinc Dimmer With Switched Outlet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rberd
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  7:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My current wall switch (where I would like to use a KeypadLinc Dimmer) controls the upper portion on a standard 2 plug wall outlet. If I know that I am only going to be plugging a lamp into the particular outlet that is controlled by the switch, is it ok to do this? I just want to make sure that using a dimmer switch that controls power to the outlet isn't going to cause any problems.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10837 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  7:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it is unsafe and against electric code to control a regular electric outlet with a dimmer. The legal way to handle that is to wire the outlet as always-on, plug in a LampLinc dimmer, then electronically link the KeypadLinc and LampLinc.
Go to Top of Page

rberd
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  8:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, thanks for your quick response! I had a feeling this was going to be the case. What about just using a non-dimming on/off KeypadLinc instead?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  11:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rberd

My current wall switch (where I would like to use a KeypadLinc Dimmer) controls the upper portion on a standard 2 plug wall outlet. If I know that I am only going to be plugging a lamp into the particular outlet that is controlled by the switch, is it ok to do this? I just want to make sure that using a dimmer switch that controls power to the outlet isn't going to cause any problems.

It isn't going to cause any electrical problems. thers do it!
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

No, it is unsafe and against electric code to control a regular electric outlet with a dimmer. (emphasis added)

Absolutely correct. But, if you ensure-by design of the plug-that only that lamp can be plugged into that receptacle, then it is in compliance with the National Electric Code.

BTW, the NEC is a recommendation, not a law. However, a municipality can include it in their building code or even call for stricter regulations.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4111 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2011 :  12:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What about just using a non-dimming on/off KeypadLinc instead?

Besides the automation part, this is no different than what you have. I expect this is safe and code compliant. Alternatively, you could mount the switch, then link it to a dimmer plug-in module, if you prefer to have the ability to dim your light.

Beware, also, that oftentimes these switches are wired in such a way (no neutral) to make installation of an insteon switch problematic. It is probably worth your time to pull the existing switch out and evaluate exiting wiring to be sure.
Go to Top of Page

cringstrom
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  5:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a safer note, I am doing this by using a switchlinc wired to the top half of the wall outlet and a keypadlinc to do just that.. remote control the upper half of the outlet.

Just no dimming..
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  6:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're using a SwitchlInc Relay, then it's OK, but if The SwitchLinc is a Dimmer, then it is a code violation, even if you don't dim.

Go to Top of Page

cringstrom
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  8:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

If you're using a SwitchlInc Relay, then it's OK, but if The SwitchLinc is a Dimmer, then it is a code violation, even if you don't dim.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. That's exactly the setup that I am using and it works like a charm and I recomend it.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  10:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BTW, a KPL Relay is OK, too. And it can be converted to 8-button.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page