Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thermostats & HVAC Control
 Ecobee T-stat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andyhutch1947

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  07:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the Ecobee T-stat (EB-STAT-02) compatible with an Insteon system?

I plan on using the Elk Gold product with my system which will work with Insteon and Z-wave.

Thanks

Andy in the USA

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  10:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, the only Insteon compatible thermostat is the Venstar.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10716 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  11:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Venstar unit offers an Insteon interface so you can directly command and control thermostat scenes using any Insteon controller--a light switch, a keypad or remote button, a SmartLinc, etc.

The Ecobee can certainly operate independently in the same house as Insteon gear, so in that sense they are not incompatible, but the Ecobee isn't smart enough to listen for and respond to an Insteon signal by itself. The Ecobee unit communicates via wifi to other Internet devices, so you would log into the thermostat separately using your smart phone or computer to view or adjust temperature settings, or have some other HA software or controller translate messages between the two technologies. Does the Elk control the Ecobee directly?
Go to Top of Page

andyhutch1947

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  5:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not familiar with the Ecobee T-stat at all but apparently York started giving York dealers and their service people classes on this thermostat to go with their equipment. My York sales rep offered this option when I mentioned to him that I was interested in controlling the T-stat with my iPhone and I mentioned the Venstar to him. He said he wasn't very computer savvy and said he wasn't able to give me any helpful hints on installing the Venstar but because he had specific instructions from York on installing the Ecobee T-stat and he was able to get specific tech support from York on the install he felt more confident with the Ecobee. So no matter if he is here or not it will probably still be me, the wife and the dogs doing the install.

It would make me feel more confident if I found somebody who has been through this process with a York AC system. Hey...it's just $$$...right!

Boy I make myself laugh some times.

Andy in the USA
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  6:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The wiring for the Ecobee is identical to to wiring for the Venstar. An important difference is that the Ecobee requires a 12 volt source, the Venstar connects to 24 volts.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

hfindlay
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  10:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit hfindlay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

Thrilled that you are interested in our ecobee thermostats. Just a quick correction- the ecobee Smart Thermostat is indeed super easy to install and can absolutely be hardwired via 24 VAC or has an optional 12VDC power supply that you can buy separately if for some reason you cannot hard wire it 24 VAC.

It is true that our thermostats cannot communicate with Insteon, however we are working on some APIs that might give you some additional options for customization in the future especially if you are a programmer - I can look more into this if you'd like (although most of these APIs for now are focused on the commercial side, and I do not know if they will be open). We currently have Insteon installed throughout our home as well as our ecobee thermostat and it works great - the nice thing about the ecobee is that once you use the wizard to set your house's program, you rarely have to mess with the thermostat at all because it is so automated- and when we do, we just use our iphone or whatever laptop is sitting closest by.

Let me know if you have any additional questions- happy to connect you to our tech team and they can walk you through the install, or we have lots of great installation videos and manuals on the website
Go to Top of Page

Daniel Vanderbyl
Starting Member

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  1:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Daniel Vanderbyl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hfindlay,

I look forward to seeing what we will be able to do combining Insteon and Ecobee. Until I can do both Insteon and Ecobee-type integration like what Venstar is offering, I will hold off on my purchase.

I encourage you guys to work closely on Insteon integration with Smarthome.

Thanks
Danny

My reno blog - http://adreamhome.wordpress.com
My "Housing Technology" Social Bookmarks - http://www.diigo.com/list/scriptures4life/housing-technology-_-si_ps-csi_ps-ic_fs-insulation
Go to Top of Page

andyhutch1947

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  4:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to every one for the information. I did go ahead and purchased the Venstar T1900 and the York tech agreed to do the installation with me.

Andy

Andy in the USA
Go to Top of Page

Daniel Vanderbyl
Starting Member

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  08:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Daniel Vanderbyl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heather,

Please keep us posted on the APIs etc.

Everyone - FYI there is also a discussion going on over at CocoonTech on the same topic:
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19668

I am still torn whether to wait for the Venstar Colortouch T5900 or get an ecoBee...

Cheers,
Danny

My reno blog - http://adreamhome.wordpress.com
My "Housing Technology" Social Bookmarks - http://www.diigo.com/list/scriptures4life/housing-technology-_-si_ps-csi_ps-ic_fs-insulation
Go to Top of Page

majortom

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2011 :  5:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather -
Do you plan to open the API to direct access to the device or only via your central server? The last thing I want is a requirement that my external network be up, your company's network be up and still supporting it to be able to change the temperature via the net. Also, do you have a plan to offer an ethernet connected version? For a fixed device (that already requires wires to it), wired communication is so much more reliable. Finally, do you have a date (or even a quarter) by which you plan to release your API? Personally, I will not purchase a product for which I need an API until it is actually released. I have had too many experiences with API projects being cancelled because no one wanted to fund or support them.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to your replies.
Go to Top of Page

KateSalmon
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  01:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you’re looking for a smart thermostat, the Ecobee is the one you should buy
When it comes to smart thermostats, Nest is the name everyone knows but it’s not necessarily
the smart choice.
The Ecobee Gen 3 and 4 have some features that make it better than the Nest, the main
one being the remote sensors.
These remote sensors don’t just measure the temperature but also pack motion sensors.
So, if you place one or several of these around your house, the system figures out where you
are and sets the temperature so that room is comfortable.
It’s a simple idea but quite a departure from the norm, where the house temperature
is based on wherever the thermostat is mounted.
Collectively they also can determine if you’re at home or away, in the latter case switching
off your system to save energy and money.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecobee
https://robotbox.net/ecobee-thermostats/
https://www.reviews.org/smart-home/ecobee-smart-thermostat-review/

Edited by - KateSalmon on 10/22/2018 01:49:27 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page