Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Computer Interfaces
 1132CU + SmartHome + Vista Patch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

alounsbury
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  5:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK folks - here's the deal.

If you try to install smarthome manager on a Vista x64 or x32 computer - the setup will detect an unsupported OS and ABORT! Does not even try to finish the install.

I contacted Tech Support and they informed me that no patch is currently planned at this time to support Vista. I sure hope that changes.

Now - if you have Smarthome already installed on an XP computer and UPGRADE that computer to Vista x32 - it works (Note 32 bit not 64 bit). This does not help me though since that computer is NOT close to the 1132CU and that computer is on the other phase in the house - so moving the 1132CU does not help me in my setup.

If someone has a work around to make SmartHome install on Vista - let us know.

Thanks Al

Moderator note: A user has now created a patch for using the 1132CU/CUP with Vista. Instructions appear later in this thread!

Al

Edited by - alounsbury on 12/24/2006 05:54:33 AM

herbfr
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  6:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Download Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (free) from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

Start up the Virtual PC. Install Windows XP. Install Smarthome.

Note to Smarthome, the company: You are under no obligation to keep your software up-to-date. We are under no obligation to buy your products. "No patch is currently planned" is more effective advertising (in the negative sense) than the next 20 catalogs you plan to send me.
Go to Top of Page

schneid
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  07:30:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave up waiting for SmartHome to support their product. Why buy from unsupportive and uncaring companies? Their catalog now goes directly to the trash at my house.

My Vista solution was to buy HCA Standard. I started out with ver 6 and just got a free upgrade to 7. It has no problem running under Vista and pleasantly is a much more user friendly application. There customer support is great and normally gets back to you within hours.

HCA has a free 30-day full-version trial so you have plenty of time to try before you buy. You can buy it direct here:

http://www.hcatech.com/
Go to Top of Page

k4gps

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  08:12:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow...I guess these forums are not edited by the clan. I really thought messages would be monitored and deleted if they were in any way shooting the company in the foot.

I have seen a lot of bad press on SmartHome their software and some of their products. I am new to this and just starting off while the house is being built. I don't want to wire or install for something that is going to give me headaches!

SmartHome seems to have some really neat products that I have not seen anywhere else which is a shame. What other sources for products like these are out there and are there any other forums that can teach me more about these subjects ?

I am a electronics gadget kind of a guy. I like the ideas of interfacing strikers, keypads, radios, DTMF decoders, PIC's and such and am looking at this not only as a way to make things easy and secure but as a hobby too.

Go to Top of Page

mdrejhon

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  1:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit mdrejhon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Third party software such as HomeSeer (www.homeseer.com), Girder (www.girder.nl), and others such as HCA will interface with many different automation products, so you are not tied to any one vendor, and each product could control a different vendor by using the computer to glue the different standards together. All of them have free trials, and range from $50 though $250 depending on features and which software you get... UPB, X10, Insteon, etc... A lot of these work fine on Vista now, for example...

That being said, many of SmartHome's products are really good. You can mix and match a lot of different products when using third party software. For example, SmartHome does make some really nice and easy products for strenghtening an X10 system -- plug-in phase couplers, plug-in BoosterLinc amplifiers, etc -- that no other manufacturer currently makes (or only for electricians). Many happy customers don't bother visiting the forums...

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon -- www.marky.com

Edited by - mdrejhon on 03/21/2007 1:30:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

prlaba
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  2:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in the same boat as others re SmartHome Manager not supporting Windows Vista. In SmartHome's defense, they only had the last five years to get ready for the new release.

Re HCA Plus software. Its Quick Start Guide says that HCA must be running on your PC to control your devices.

Does that mean that I cannot use HCA to download my macros and schedules to my PowerLinc USB controller and let it manage my X-10 devices, without having to keep my PC running?

Thanks.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

xkerriganx
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  11:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it to be funny that people are blaming SmartHome and not Microsoft. Windows Vista is the problem, not the SmartHome software. If they made a decent compatibility mode for their OS, this would not be an issue. Rewriting software for a new OS is difficult and time consuming. People can say what they will about how much time to program designers had to make their programs for Vista. Vista went through an unbelievable number of pre-release builds with compatibility varying from one build to another. This is a problem with very many other high-profile applications, such as iTunes. Windows Vista is also an extremely new OS, so you can't expect every piece of software to run as it should this soon after it's launch. My suggestion is to simply not use Vista for the time being for numerous reasons. One of them being the exact reason for this topic: program support. Another is because it is the newest operating, it is going to be extremely vulnerable to malicious activity, ie: virus, malware, spyware, etc. My two cents.
Go to Top of Page

chef

35 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  10:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
xkerriganx
I agree with you. I had quicken and it didn't work with my new Vista system, and the person at Quicken was more than happy to sell me a new version. Maybe what we need to do is say Hey SmartHome I will be willing to pay $40 for a version that will work with with Vista.
There I started, who is with me?

Living the Life... and loving it
Go to Top of Page

mmclaughlin95
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  8:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THE PROBLEM I HAD WITH THIS IS THAT VIRTUAL PC DOES NOT SUPPORT USB PORTS - SO THE USB LINK THAT SMARTHOME DOWNLOADS TO IS NO GOOD. ANY IDEAS? I TRIED COPYING THE INSTALLED FILES OVER TO VISTA AND RUNNING IN COMPATABILITY MODE, BUT NO LUCK. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

MICHAEL MCLAUGHLIN

quote:
Originally posted by herbfr

Download Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (free) from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

Start up the Virtual PC. Install Windows XP. Install Smarthome.

Note to Smarthome, the company: You are under no obligation to keep your software up-to-date. We are under no obligation to buy your products. "No patch is currently planned" is more effective advertising (in the negative sense) than the next 20 catalogs you plan to send me.

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5925 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  06:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They didn't even update Smarthome Manager for the new Daylight Savings Time dates. We had to work out a fix ourselves.
Go to Top of Page

candide08
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  3:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schneid

I gave up waiting for SmartHome to support their product. Why buy from unsupportive and uncaring companies? Their catalog now goes directly to the trash at my house.

My Vista solution was to buy HCA Standard. I started out with ver 6 and just got a free upgrade to 7. It has no problem running under Vista and pleasantly is a much more user friendly application. There customer support is great and normally gets back to you within hours.

HCA has a free 30-day full-version trial so you have plenty of time to try before you buy. You can buy it direct here:

http://www.hcatech.com/

I have just had a long back-and-forth incident with HCA regarding Vista. Their program had many issues installing - but they were ironed out.

However HCA 7.1 does NOT successfully download to an 1132cu PLC device, and they have admitted as much to me.

Their program works fine - as long as the 1132 is connected, the PC is up 24x7. The HCA program acts as a controller and sends out the signals. If you want the 1132cu to work without the PC being on you are out of luck.

The support at HCA was pleasent and tried to be helpful - but after a while it just seemed like they gace up and admitted that the download to an 1132cu does not work.
Go to Top of Page

lgmerx
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  6:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smarthome has aptly demonstrated their total disinterest in customer support to many of us over the years. When I first got my 1132CU (in 2004), I reported numerous software bugs and made many suggestions for how they could improve their application and the basic functionality of the controller. I never even got a response from them.

Several months ago, I bought a new PC and chose Vista for it. Like others in this forum, I found SHM could not install. I didn't even bother to contact Smarthome, based on the effectiveness of that approach on earlier issues.

I am familiar with the internal similarities and differences between Vista and its predecessors, so I decided to try modifying the installation program to allow Vista as a valid target platform. After running the modified installation script, SHM installed successfully. It appears to work fine and I have been using it ever since.

If anyone would like a copy of the patched installation program, e-mail me and I'll send it to you. No warranties, but I suspect it'll install and work fine on other Vista machines.

Go to Top of Page

Ron
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  6:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sent you a message lgmerx. Thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ron
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  6:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an update, with a slight adjustment, lgmerx's patched worked great on Vista 32 Ultimate! Thanks very much for doing what Smarthome wouldn't!!!

Go to Top of Page

rehaz1
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  11:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lgmerx

Smarthome has aptly demonstrated their total disinterest in customer support to many of us over the years. When I first got my 1132CU (in 2004), I reported numerous software bugs and made many suggestions for how they could improve their application and the basic functionality of the controller. I never even got a response from them.

Several months ago, I bought a new PC and chose Vista for it. Like others in this forum, I found SHM could not install. I didn't even bother to contact Smarthome, based on the effectiveness of that approach on earlier issues.

I am familiar with the internal similarities and differences between Vista and its predecessors, so I decided to try modifying the installation program to allow Vista as a valid target platform. After running the modified installation script, SHM installed successfully. It appears to work fine and I have been using it ever since.

If anyone would like a copy of the patched installation program, e-mail me and I'll send it to you. No warranties, but I suspect it'll install and work fine on other Vista machines.

Sent you a PM

Roger Hachey

Edited by - rehaz1 on 06/14/2008 11:52:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

rehaz1
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  11:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron

As an update, with a slight adjustment, lgmerx's patched worked great on Vista 32 Ultimate! Thanks very much for doing what Smarthome wouldn't!!!

What type of adjustment did you have to make?

Roger Hachey
Go to Top of Page

ekraus
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  01:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sent lgmerx an email for the patch but I am not sure he got it.
Can anyone send me the patch?
Thanx
Go to Top of Page

phred
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  08:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried the MicroSoft VC route using Vista Home Premium and it really is a secondary operating system running when it can - had problems with admittance to the local workgroup and access to a physical USB port. So I'm transferring SmartHome to a Laptop that still uses XP
Go to Top of Page

mcc
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  1:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I requested the patch also. Can anyone send it to me.
Thanks in advance
Go to Top of Page

jerseyjoe
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  6:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone post the patch somewhere so it can be found on the internet? I'm in the same boat with the 1132 not working in Vista - if someone has an idea of how to make it work, I'd like to try it!

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

bobfwilliams

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  04:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also requested the patch from lgmerx, and would greatly appreciate someone sending it to me. If what I get works, I'll post good documentation on using it on this forum. Many thanks!

blueberrybob
Go to Top of Page

bobfwilliams

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  2:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have encountered difficulty in installing SmartHome Manager software on Vista, this may be for you. Specifically, it deals with the error message �The Operating System is not adequate for running Smarthome Manager�.

I have succeeded in setting up SmartHome Manager (it works on both versions, Essential or Plus) on Vista. Here's an outline of the problem, and very detailed instructions on how to do it.

The SmartHome Manager software was packaged into a setup (.exe) file using InstallShield (a very old version). InstallShield does some initial testing, then builds a Microsoft Windows Installer file. Basically what we'll be doing is modifying the Installer file to remove the test for operating system. To do this, we'll need to download two pieces of software from Microsoft. We'll also change things so that the software (both the installation software and the SmartHome Manager software itself) runs in Windows XP compatibility mode on Vista.

Here are the details (not for the faint at heart). Where I have "Start", under Vista you just click on the Vista orb at the bottom left of your screen.

� Take a system checkpoint if you feel nervous about any of this. Start, Control Panel, System, System Protection, Create, �

� Extract Windows Installer package for SmartHome Manager software. We can't modify the .exe file itself, so we let the .exe file create a .msi file, which we can modify. Start, Run, <location of SmartHome .exe file> /a The /a runs the installation in administrative mode, which creates the Windows installer package from Smarthome, then pauses to allow the user to approve continuing. This allows us to find and extract the SmartHome Manager Windows installer package (the file name is SmartHome Manager.msi). To find the package, in a command window cd %temp%, or in Windows Explorer search for %temp%. Look for a folder very recently created, and with a funny (not ha-ha) name. Before exiting the SmartHome Manager installation (which deletes the setup files), copy the Smarthome Manager.msi to a separate folder on your hard drive.

� Copy other installation files. If this is SmartHome Manager Essential (the basic and free version), there won�t be any other files. If this is SmartHome Manager Plus, copy all files from the CD under c:\SmartHome Manager to the folder where you copied the SmartHome Manager.msi file.

� Download and install Orca. This is Microsoft software to edit msi files. Download just the Orca software from http://www.brentnorris.net/blog/archives/319, click on Download orca.msi. Install Orca by clicking on orca.msi. If you feel more comfortable downloading this from Microsoft, it�s part of the Windows Installer SDK, the URL is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905, and the downloaded files are about 300 MB. Good luck in finding Orca.

� Modify Installer Package. Start Orca by Start, All Programs, Orca. Open the installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi). In the left column, scroll down to LaunchCondition, and click on it. You will see "(Version9X = 410 And Not WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 410 And WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 490) OR (VersionNT = 500) OR (VersionNT = 501)" in the left column and "The operating system is not adequate for running [ProductName]." in the right. Click Edit, Cut Row(s). Save the modified file by doing File, Save. Do not do File, Save As. Exit Orca.

� Install ACT 5. Install Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5 (ACT 5). Download Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi from www.microsoft.com/downloads/, System Tools, search for ACT. Install by double-clicking on Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi We need this to be able to run the Installer in Windows XP compatibility mode.

� Run installation with ACT. Start, All Programs, Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0, Compatibility Administration. Click on the Fix icon in the toolbar. Enter the name of the program (SmartHome Manager Plus), and the vendor (SmartHome). Enter the location of the Windows Installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi) � you cannot browse to it, but you can enter it by entering each part of the location: C:\, then select the folder from the choices given, then add a \, then select the file name, etc. Click on Next. On the next page, click on Microsoft Windows XP (SP2), then click on Test Run� On the window "Test run application", click OK. This is not a test. This is the real thing. You should be installing SmartHome Manager now. If it works, exit from ACT. There is no need to save anything.

� Change the SmartHome program file to compatibility mode. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the .exe file for SmartHome Manager. It should be at c:\Program Files\SmartHome\SmartHome Manager\SmartHome Manager.exe. Right-click on it, and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab, select Run this program in compatibility mode for, Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Click on OK.

� Start SmartHome Manager.

� Celebrate.

It's a good thing I'm retired. This took me many dozens of hours to figure out.

Let me know if any of this is unclear.

blueberrybob
Go to Top of Page

frederp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  6:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob thanks very much for your time. I hope i can putter at these sorts of things when i retire!

I thought it was a very good omen that 5 hours after you posted, i started my search to next move this program to the Vista box. I also read your instructions and in my head could visualize what you were doing. So i felt confident to give it a whirl.

I am stuck on the "Extract Windows Installer package for SmartHome Manager software." I decided when i ordered the software years ago, to have them send me a cd so i would have the software for ever And of course using that same wisdom, never downloaded anything from the Smarthome web site! I can't run the program from the cd without that prohibitive message and when i copy off the cd into a c:\folder and play with running various executables, I have had no success.

When you feel bored with retirement again and revisit this forum, would you please ponder and let me know my best next steps?

Thanks again for your diligence and detail.
ttfn
frederp

quote:
Originally posted by bobfwilliams

If you have encountered difficulty in installing SmartHome Manager software on Vista, this may be for you. Specifically, it deals with the error message �The Operating System is not adequate for running Smarthome Manager�.

I have succeeded in setting up SmartHome Manager (it works on both versions, Essential or Plus) on Vista. Here's an outline of the problem, and very detailed instructions on how to do it.

The SmartHome Manager software was packaged into a setup (.exe) file using InstallShield (a very old version). InstallShield does some initial testing, then builds a Microsoft Windows Installer file. Basically what we'll be doing is modifying the Installer file to remove the test for operating system. To do this, we'll need to download two pieces of software from Microsoft. We'll also change things so that the software (both the installation software and the SmartHome Manager software itself) runs in Windows XP compatibility mode on Vista.

Here are the details (not for the faint at heart). Where I have "Start", under Vista you just click on the Vista orb at the bottom left of your screen.

� Take a system checkpoint if you feel nervous about any of this. Start, Control Panel, System, System Protection, Create, �

� Extract Windows Installer package for SmartHome Manager software. We can't modify the .exe file itself, so we let the .exe file create a .msi file, which we can modify. Start, Run, <location of SmartHome .exe file> /a The /a runs the installation in administrative mode, which creates the Windows installer package from Smarthome, then pauses to allow the user to approve continuing. This allows us to find and extract the SmartHome Manager Windows installer package (the file name is SmartHome Manager.msi). To find the package, in a command window cd %temp%, or in Windows Explorer search for %temp%. Look for a folder very recently created, and with a funny (not ha-ha) name. Before exiting the SmartHome Manager installation (which deletes the setup files), copy the Smarthome Manager.msi to a separate folder on your hard drive.

� Copy other installation files. If this is SmartHome Manager Essential (the basic and free version), there won�t be any other files. If this is SmartHome Manager Plus, copy all files from the CD under c:\SmartHome Manager to the folder where you copied the SmartHome Manager.msi file.

� Download and install Orca. This is Microsoft software to edit msi files. Download just the Orca software from http://www.brentnorris.net/blog/archives/319, click on Download orca.msi. Install Orca by clicking on orca.msi. If you feel more comfortable downloading this from Microsoft, it�s part of the Windows Installer SDK, the URL is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905, and the downloaded files are about 300 MB. Good luck in finding Orca.

� Modify Installer Package. Start Orca by Start, All Programs, Orca. Open the installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi). In the left column, scroll down to LaunchCondition, and click on it. You will see "(Version9X = 410 And Not WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 410 And WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 490) OR (VersionNT = 500) OR (VersionNT = 501)" in the left column and "The operating system is not adequate for running [ProductName]." in the right. Click Edit, Cut Row(s). Save the modified file by doing File, Save. Do not do File, Save As. Exit Orca.

� Install ACT 5. Install Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5 (ACT 5). Download Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi from www.microsoft.com/downloads/, System Tools, search for ACT. Install by double-clicking on Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi We need this to be able to run the Installer in Windows XP compatibility mode.

� Run installation with ACT. Start, All Programs, Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0, Compatibility Administration. Click on the Fix icon in the toolbar. Enter the name of the program (SmartHome Manager Plus), and the vendor (SmartHome). Enter the location of the Windows Installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi) � you cannot browse to it, but you can enter it by entering each part of the location: C:\, then select the folder from the choices given, then add a \, then select the file name, etc. Click on Next. On the next page, click on Microsoft Windows XP (SP2), then click on Test Run� On the window "Test run application", click OK. This is not a test. This is the real thing. You should be installing SmartHome Manager now. If it works, exit from ACT. There is no need to save anything.

� Change the SmartHome program file to compatibility mode. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the .exe file for SmartHome Manager. It should be at c:\Program Files\SmartHome\SmartHome Manager\SmartHome Manager.exe. Right-click on it, and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab, select Run this program in compatibility mode for, Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Click on OK.

� Celebrate.

Go to Top of Page

lgmerx
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  7:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederp,

Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a patched version of the installation program.

Edited by - lgmerx on 07/22/2008 7:24:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

bobfwilliams

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  8:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
frederp,

Many thanks for your reply.

Here's an overview of what I meant by "Extract Windows Installer package for SmartHome Manager software".

When a developer uses InstallShield, what she is doing is creating a single .exe file, which you as the user run to install the software. When you run the .exe file, it starts InstallShield, which creates and tailors a .msi file (this is the Windows Installer package) and then executes that .msi file. Because I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to modify the .exe file (to remove that dreaded check for operating system), my approach was to run the .exe file, have it create the .msi, and capture (find and save) the .msi file. It's then pretty easy to modify the .msi file, then run it.

And here are hopefully clearer instruction on how to create and find the .msi file.

The only reason to use the weird way (Start, Run, with the /a flag)to run the installation, is that when you run it the normal way, it fails, then cleans up everything (meaning that it deletes the .msi file). When you run it with the /a flag, it pauses to wait for your input. Before you give it any input, just start Windows Explorer, find the .msi file that the installation created, and save it somewhere where you can use it later. It will be under the temp folder, which you can find by either of the two methods I specified. And it will be in a newly created folder under the temp folder. So just look for a folder that was just created, open it, and save the .msi file to a new folder of your choice.

And here are specifics on how to run it with the /a flag. You'll need to do Start (that's the Vista globe on the bottom left, Run, then enter the location of the .exe file. On my CD, which is the Plus version, it's at E:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe. Your CD or DVD drive might be D:. So what I entered in Start, Run was
E:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe /a

And here's an overview on why I used ACT. I wasn't able to change the attributes on the .msi file to run in compatibility mode (you can do this for a .exe file, but apparently not for a .msi file). I thought it was safest to run the installation in compatibility mode, and ACT allows you to do that. Once you have installed the SmartHome Manager, you don't need ACT to run it in compatibility mode, you can just modify the file (as I explained) to have it run in compatibility mode.

Well, that was rather long-winded, but hopefully helpful. Let me know if it needs more explaining. I'll be happy to clarify it. And good luck.

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by frederp

Bob thanks very much for your time. I hope i can putter at these sorts of things when i retire!

I thought it was a very good omen that 5 hours after you posted, i started my search to next move this program to the Vista box. I also read your instructions and in my head could visualize what you were doing. So i felt confident to give it a whirl.

I am stuck on the "Extract Windows Installer package for SmartHome Manager software." I decided when i ordered the software years ago, to have them send me a cd so i would have the software for ever And of course using that same wisdom, never downloaded anything from the Smarthome web site! I can't run the program from the cd without that prohibitive message and when i copy off the cd into a c:\folder and play with running various executables, I have had no success.

When you feel bored with retirement again and revisit this forum, would you please ponder and let me know my best next steps?

Thanks again for your diligence and detail.
ttfn
frederp

quote:
Originally posted by bobfwilliams

� Celebrate.

blueberrybob
Go to Top of Page

iambest
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  6:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks bob...you are the man!!
Go to Top of Page

mcc
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  1:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worked for me.
Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

jgale
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  4:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob - this worked great!!!!!

This saved me so much trouble of having to switch to another software package.

You are the man...

John
Go to Top of Page

frederp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  5:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leslie,
I successfully received your attached file. The software installed lickety split, and i did not have to insert the cd after all.

But then my 1132 unit was not responding. Well.................. who would have thought i had a GFI outlet that had triggered during one of our many recent thunder storms? Thankfully!!
Anyway, everything reprogrammed and just waiting for sunset!
Thanks for your help and support Leslie.
ttfn
Pegg

Have a great w/e
ttfn
Go to Top of Page

guenthpw
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  12:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hat of to you for DOING something constructive.

Please send your remedy to me.

THANX a lot!

Peter

quote:
Originally posted by lgmerx

Go to Top of Page

txgriz
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  12:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanted to update this forum to let people know that this fix to the msi installer also works with Microsoft Windows Home Server (WHS).

I can now have my 1132U running and always connected to my always-on WHS to control my X10 and Insteon devices (in X10 mode, of course).

If I could only get someone to create a WHS tab to control the smarthome software, I'd be set.

Bob
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page