Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register
 
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Computer Interfaces
 1132CU + SmartHome + Vista Patch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

guenthpw
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  8:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobfwilliams

frederp,

Many thanks for your reply.

Here's an overview of what I meant by "Extract Windows Installer package for SmartHome Manager software".

When a developer uses InstallShield, what she is doing is creating a single .exe file, which you as the user run to install the software. When you run the .exe file, it starts InstallShield, which creates and tailors a .msi file (this is the Windows Installer package) and then executes that .msi file. Because I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to modify the .exe file (to remove that dreaded check for operating system), my approach was to run the .exe file, have it create the .msi, and capture (find and save) the .msi file. It's then pretty easy to modify the .msi file, then run it.

And here are hopefully clearer instruction on how to create and find the .msi file.

The only reason to use the weird way (Start, Run, with the /a flag)to run the installation, is that when you run it the normal way, it fails, then cleans up everything (meaning that it deletes the .msi file). When you run it with the /a flag, it pauses to wait for your input. Before you give it any input, just start Windows Explorer, find the .msi file that the installation created, and save it somewhere where you can use it later. It will be under the temp folder, which you can find by either of the two methods I specified. And it will be in a newly created folder under the temp folder. So just look for a folder that was just created, open it, and save the .msi file to a new folder of your choice.

And here are specifics on how to run it with the /a flag. You'll need to do Start (that's the Vista globe on the bottom left, Run, then enter the location of the .exe file. On my CD, which is the Plus version, it's at E:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe. Your CD or DVD drive might be D:. So what I entered in Start, Run was
E:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe /a

And here's an overview on why I used ACT. I wasn't able to change the attributes on the .msi file to run in compatibility mode (you can do this for a .exe file, but apparently not for a .msi file). I thought it was safest to run the installation in compatibility mode, and ACT allows you to do that. Once you have installed the SmartHome Manager, you don't need ACT to run it in compatibility mode, you can just modify the file (as I explained) to have it run in compatibility mode.

Well, that was rather long-winded, but hopefully helpful. Let me know if it needs more explaining. I'll be happy to clarify it. And good luck.

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by frederp

Bob thanks very much for your time. I hope i can putter at these sorts of things when i retire!

I thought it was a very good omen that 5 hours after you posted, i started my search to next move this program to the Vista box. I also read your instructions and in my head could visualize what you were doing. So i felt confident to give it a whirl.

I am stuck on the "Extract Windows Installer package for SmartHome Manager software." I decided when i ordered the software years ago, to have them send me a cd so i would have the software for ever And of course using that same wisdom, never downloaded anything from the Smarthome web site! I can't run the program from the cd without that prohibitive message and when i copy off the cd into a c:\folder and play with running various executables, I have had no success.

When you feel bored with retirement again and revisit this forum, would you please ponder and let me know my best next steps?

Thanks again for your diligence and detail.
ttfn
frederp


quote:
Originally posted by bobfwilliams

If you have encountered difficulty in installing SmartHome Manager software on Vista, this may be for you. Specifically, it deals with the error message �The Operating System is not adequate for running Smarthome Manager�.

I have succeeded in setting up SmartHome Manager (it works on both versions, Essential or Plus) on Vista. Here's an outline of the problem, and very detailed instructions on how to do it.

The SmartHome Manager software was packaged into a setup (.exe) file using InstallShield (a very old version). InstallShield does some initial testing, then builds a Microsoft Windows Installer file. Basically what we'll be doing is modifying the Installer file to remove the test for operating system. To do this, we'll need to download two pieces of software from Microsoft. We'll also change things so that the software (both the installation software and the SmartHome Manager software itself) runs in Windows XP compatibility mode on Vista.

Here are the details (not for the faint at heart). Where I have "Start", under Vista you just click on the Vista orb at the bottom left of your screen.

� Take a system checkpoint if you feel nervous about any of this. Start, Control Panel, System, System Protection, Create, �

� Extract Windows Installer package for SmartHome Manager software. We can't modify the .exe file itself, so we let the .exe file create a .msi file, which we can modify. Start, Run, <location of SmartHome .exe file> /a The /a runs the installation in administrative mode, which creates the Windows installer package from Smarthome, then pauses to allow the user to approve continuing. This allows us to find and extract the SmartHome Manager Windows installer package (the file name is SmartHome Manager.msi). To find the package, in a command window cd %temp%, or in Windows Explorer search for %temp%. Look for a folder very recently created, and with a funny (not ha-ha) name. Before exiting the SmartHome Manager installation (which deletes the setup files), copy the Smarthome Manager.msi to a separate folder on your hard drive.

� Copy other installation files. If this is SmartHome Manager Essential (the basic and free version), there won�t be any other files. If this is SmartHome Manager Plus, copy all files from the CD under c:\SmartHome Manager to the folder where you copied the SmartHome Manager.msi file.

� Download and install Orca. This is Microsoft software to edit msi files. Download just the Orca software from http://www.brentnorris.net/blog/archives/319, click on Download orca.msi. Install Orca by clicking on orca.msi. If you feel more comfortable downloading this from Microsoft, it�s part of the Windows Installer SDK, the URL is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905, and the downloaded files are about 300 MB. Good luck in finding Orca.

� Modify Installer Package. Start Orca by Start, All Programs, Orca. Open the installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi). In the left column, scroll down to LaunchCondition, and click on it. You will see "(Version9X = 410 And Not WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 410 And WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 490) OR (VersionNT = 500) OR (VersionNT = 501)" in the left column and "The operating system is not adequate for running [ProductName]." in the right. Click Edit, Cut Row(s). Save the modified file by doing File, Save. Do not do File, Save As. Exit Orca.

� Install ACT 5. Install Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5 (ACT 5). Download Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi from www.microsoft.com/downloads/, System Tools, search for ACT. Install by double-clicking on Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi We need this to be able to run the Installer in Windows XP compatibility mode.

� Run installation with ACT. Start, All Programs, Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0, Compatibility Administration. Click on the Fix icon in the toolbar. Enter the name of the program (SmartHome Manager Plus), and the vendor (SmartHome). Enter the location of the Windows Installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi) � you cannot browse to it, but you can enter it by entering each part of the location: C:\, then select the folder from the choices given, then add a \, then select the file name, etc. Click on Next. On the next page, click on Microsoft Windows XP (SP2), then click on Test Run� On the window "Test run application", click OK. This is not a test. This is the real thing. You should be installing SmartHome Manager now. If it works, exit from ACT. There is no need to save anything.

� Change the SmartHome program file to compatibility mode. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the .exe file for SmartHome Manager. It should be at c:\Program Files\SmartHome\SmartHome Manager\SmartHome Manager.exe. Right-click on it, and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab, select Run this program in compatibility mode for, Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Click on OK.

� Start SmartHome Manager.

� Celebrate.

It's a good thing I'm retired. This took me many dozens of hours to figure out.

Let me know if any of this is unclear.








Go to Top of Page

guenthpw
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  9:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure appreciate your diligence and dedication in figuring this all out and writing the instructions.

I have the Smarthome Manager Essential CD. MY OS is Vista Home Premium. I performed all your steps using ORCA and ACT 5. The trial installation ran a short stretch only to hang with the message that it couldn't find an .ini file (I failed to write down its name). So, after diddling for hours I came up with nothing but the timer software installed.

Surely, I did something wrong. For instance I may have picked the wrong option from the initial startup menu from which you are to generate the msi file? In other words, my CD has several install and setup files in different directories, including the ones in the 'SmartHomeSuite' and 'smartHome Manager' directories.

Perhaps I picked the wrong setup.exe file? Which is the one I should have picked? Or any idea what else I could have done wrong/messed up?

Again, thanks a lot for you help.

Peter
quote:
Originally posted by bobfwilliams

If you have encountered difficulty in installing SmartHome Manager software on Vista, this may be for you. Specifically, it deals with the error message �The Operating System is not adequate for running Smarthome Manager�.

I have succeeded in setting up SmartHome Manager (it works on both versions, Essential or Plus) on Vista. Here's an outline of the problem, and very detailed instructions on how to do it.

The SmartHome Manager software was packaged into a setup (.exe) file using InstallShield (a very old version). InstallShield does some initial testing, then builds a Microsoft Windows Installer file. Basically what we'll be doing is modifying the Installer file to remove the test for operating system. To do this, we'll need to download two pieces of software from Microsoft. We'll also change things so that the software (both the installation software and the SmartHome Manager software itself) runs in Windows XP compatibility mode on Vista.

Here are the details (not for the faint at heart). Where I have "Start", under Vista you just click on the Vista orb at the bottom left of your screen.

� Take a system checkpoint if you feel nervous about any of this. Start, Control Panel, System, System Protection, Create, �

� Extract Windows Installer package for SmartHome Manager software. We can't modify the .exe file itself, so we let the .exe file create a .msi file, which we can modify. Start, Run, <location of SmartHome .exe file> /a The /a runs the installation in administrative mode, which creates the Windows installer package from Smarthome, then pauses to allow the user to approve continuing. This allows us to find and extract the SmartHome Manager Windows installer package (the file name is SmartHome Manager.msi). To find the package, in a command window cd %temp%, or in Windows Explorer search for %temp%. Look for a folder very recently created, and with a funny (not ha-ha) name. Before exiting the SmartHome Manager installation (which deletes the setup files), copy the Smarthome Manager.msi to a separate folder on your hard drive.

� Copy other installation files. If this is SmartHome Manager Essential (the basic and free version), there won�t be any other files. If this is SmartHome Manager Plus, copy all files from the CD under c:\SmartHome Manager to the folder where you copied the SmartHome Manager.msi file.

� Download and install Orca. This is Microsoft software to edit msi files. Download just the Orca software from http://www.brentnorris.net/blog/archives/319, click on Download orca.msi. Install Orca by clicking on orca.msi. If you feel more comfortable downloading this from Microsoft, it�s part of the Windows Installer SDK, the URL is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905, and the downloaded files are about 300 MB. Good luck in finding Orca.

� Modify Installer Package. Start Orca by Start, All Programs, Orca. Open the installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi). In the left column, scroll down to LaunchCondition, and click on it. You will see "(Version9X = 410 And Not WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 410 And WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 490) OR (VersionNT = 500) OR (VersionNT = 501)" in the left column and "The operating system is not adequate for running [ProductName]." in the right. Click Edit, Cut Row(s). Save the modified file by doing File, Save. Do not do File, Save As. Exit Orca.

� Install ACT 5. Install Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5 (ACT 5). Download Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi from www.microsoft.com/downloads/, System Tools, search for ACT. Install by double-clicking on Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi We need this to be able to run the Installer in Windows XP compatibility mode.

� Run installation with ACT. Start, All Programs, Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0, Compatibility Administration. Click on the Fix icon in the toolbar. Enter the name of the program (SmartHome Manager Plus), and the vendor (SmartHome). Enter the location of the Windows Installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi) � you cannot browse to it, but you can enter it by entering each part of the location: C:\, then select the folder from the choices given, then add a \, then select the file name, etc. Click on Next. On the next page, click on Microsoft Windows XP (SP2), then click on Test Run� On the window "Test run application", click OK. This is not a test. This is the real thing. You should be installing SmartHome Manager now. If it works, exit from ACT. There is no need to save anything.

� Change the SmartHome program file to compatibility mode. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the .exe file for SmartHome Manager. It should be at c:\Program Files\SmartHome\SmartHome Manager\SmartHome Manager.exe. Right-click on it, and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab, select Run this program in compatibility mode for, Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Click on OK.

� Start SmartHome Manager.

� Celebrate.

It's a good thing I'm retired. This took me many dozens of hours to figure out.

Let me know if any of this is unclear.




Go to Top of Page

bobfwilliams
New Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  4:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some suggestions of what might have gone wrong. I apologize for mentioning anything which is obvious, but I just want to be complete.
o I use only the Smarthome Manager, and it's possible you used something else. To launch the installation of the Smarthome Manager, you should not select any menu option which appears when you load the CD. Rather, you should start the installation with the Start, Run method I specified, with the /a flag. You'll need to do Start (that's the Vista globe on the bottom left, Run, then enter the location of the .exe file. On my CD, which is the Plus version, it's at E:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe. Your CD or DVD drive might be D:. So what I entered in Start, Run was
E:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe /a
The /a flag is essential.
o It's possible you didn't find the correct .msi file. To find it, you can either use a command window, or Windows Explorer. Either way, you are looking for the file in the %temp% folder. (%temp% is a variable, pointing to the real folder).
- In a command window (start with Start, Accessories, Command Prompt), cd %temp%, then do dir /ad to look at just the directories (folders). You want to find the folder with a date and time that you ran the installation. cd to that directory (folder), then find the Smarthome Manager.msi and copy it to somewhere safe. Or just use the location you found here to copy the file in Windows Explorer.
- In Windows Explorer search for %temp%. Here's how: Start Windows Explorer, then enter %temp% in the Search field at the top right of the screen. You should see a number of folders, the one you're interested in is a folder named something like C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\ (where Bob is replaced with your user name). You might see the new folder you are looking for (check the date modified for the correct date), or you may need to expand the Temp folder to find it.

I hope that this is helpful. If this doesn't help, take detailed notes of what you are doing, and post them here. I'll try to respond helpfully.


blueberrybob
Go to Top of Page

guenthpw
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  9:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, your answer contained the specific answer to what I did wrong. I used the wrong setup.exe file in the wrong directory, i.e. SmartHomeSuite. Once I used the setup.exe in the 'SmartHome Manager' directory, all went fine.

May I also point out that I had to run ACT 5 as a manager and not myself, even though I have "managers" rights. Also the '\' in front of the msi file did not work. Also, the msi file had the name '14b6270.msi and not 'SmartHome Manager.msi' as it says in your instructions. Also the program in the ACT 5 directory you want us to use is called 'Compatibility Administrator' and not 'Compatibility Administration'

I hope this feedback this feedback is helpful.

Bottom line: If it hadn't been for you I would have had a big problem, what with all the X10 stuff I use around the house.

Thanx a million!

Peter
quote:
Originally posted by bobfwilliams

Here are some suggestions of what might have gone wrong. I apologize for mentioning anything which is obvious, but I just want to be complete.
o I use only the Smarthome Manager, and it's possible you used something else. To launch the installation of the Smarthome Manager, you should not select any menu option which appears when you load the CD. Rather, you should start the installation with the Start, Run method I specified, with the /a flag. You'll need to do Start (that's the Vista globe on the bottom left, Run, then enter the location of the .exe file. On my CD, which is the Plus version, it's at E:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe. Your CD or DVD drive might be D:. So what I entered in Start, Run was
E:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe /a
The /a flag is essential.
o It's possible you didn't find the correct .msi file. To find it, you can either use a command window, or Windows Explorer. Either way, you are looking for the file in the %temp% folder. (%temp% is a variable, pointing to the real folder).
- In a command window (start with Start, Accessories, Command Prompt), cd %temp%, then do dir /ad to look at just the directories (folders). You want to find the folder with a date and time that you ran the installation. cd to that directory (folder), then find the Smarthome Manager.msi and copy it to somewhere safe. Or just use the location you found here to copy the file in Windows Explorer.
- In Windows Explorer search for %temp%. Here's how: Start Windows Explorer, then enter %temp% in the Search field at the top right of the screen. You should see a number of folders, the one you're interested in is a folder named something like C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\ (where Bob is replaced with your user name). You might see the new folder you are looking for (check the date modified for the correct date), or you may need to expand the Temp folder to find it.

I hope that this is helpful. If this doesn't help, take detailed notes of what you are doing, and post them here. I'll try to respond helpfully.



Go to Top of Page

bobfwilliams
New Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  03:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter,

Great!

And thanks for the update on some of the details. It might be that SH Essential is working differently from SH Plus. I'll incorporate all your suggestions into another posting sometime this weekend, so that people don't have to check several forum entries.

Bob

blueberrybob
Go to Top of Page

bobfwilliams
New Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  6:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have encountered difficulty in installing SmartHome Manager software on Vista, this may be for you. Specifically, it deals with the error message �The Operating System is not adequate for running Smarthome Manager�.

I have succeeded in setting up SmartHome Manager (it works on both versions, Essential or Plus) on Vista. Here's an outline of the problem, and very detailed instructions on how to do it.

This forum posting consolidates several previous postings (including the experience of other forum users), and although it is even longer and more foreboding, it might be somewhat clearer.

OVERVIEW OF THE ENTIRE PROCESS. The SmartHome Manager software was packaged by its developers into a setup (.exe) file using InstallShield (a very old version). InstallShield does some initial testing, then builds a Microsoft Windows Installer file. Basically what we'll be doing is modifying the Windows Installer file to remove the test for operating system. To do this, we'll need to download two pieces of software from Microsoft. We'll also change things so that the software (both the installation software and the SmartHome Manager software itself) runs in Windows XP compatibility mode on Vista. We�ll be running the installation of SmartHome software twice. The first time will fail (as it always has for you), but we�ll be able to find the Microsoft Windows Installer file and continue the installation process with that file.

Here are the details (not for the faint at heart). Where I have "Start", under Vista you just click on the Vista orb at the bottom left of your screen.

TAKE A SYSTEM CHECKPOINT. Take a system checkpoint if you feel nervous about any of this. Start, Control Panel, System, System Protection, Create, �

BACKGROUND - CREATING THE MICROSOFT WINDOWS INSTALLER FILE. When a developer uses InstallShield, a single .exe file is created, which you as the user run to install the software. When you run the .exe file, it starts InstallShield, which creates and customizes a .msi file (this is the Windows Installer file) and then runs that .msi file. Because I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to modify the .exe file (to remove that dreaded check for operating system), my approach was to run the .exe file, have it create the .msi, and capture (find and save) the .msi file. It's then pretty easy to modify the .msi file, then run it.

BACKGROUND - RUNNING THE FIRST INSTALLATION OF SMARTHOME SOFTWARE. This installation will fail, but we�ll be using an installation flag to help us find the Windows Installer file. When you run the installation without the installation flag, it fails, then cleans up everything (meaning that it deletes the .msi file). When you run it with the flag, it pauses to wait for your input. Before you give it any input, just start Windows Explorer, find the .msi file that the installation created, and save it somewhere where you can use it later.

BACKGROUND - USING THE INSTALLATION FLAG. We�ll be using the /a flag to run the first installation, which runs the installation in administrative mode. You'll need to do Start (that's the Vista globe on the bottom left, Run, then enter the location of the .exe file for the SmartHome software, which should be under a folder named �Smarthome Manager�. On my CD, which is the Plus version, it's at E:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe. Your CD or DVD drive might be D:. So what I entered in Start, Run was
E:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe /a

FIND THE WINDOWS INSTALLER FILE. You�ve now run the installation using the /a flag, and it is now waiting for your input to continue. Before you give it the go-ahead to continue (which will fail, then delete the file you are looking for), you will need to find and save off the Windows Installer file. This file has a .msi extension, and will be under the temp folder, in a newly created folder.

To find the file, you can use either a command window, or Windows Explorer. Either way, you are looking for the file in the %temp% folder. (%temp% is a variable, pointing to the real folder).
- In a command window (start with Start, Accessories, Command Prompt), cd %temp%, then do dir /ad to look at just the directories (folders). You want to find the folder with a date and time that you ran the installation. cd (that�s computerese for �change directory�) to that directory (folder), then find the Smarthome Manager.msi and copy it to somewhere safe. Or just use the location you found here to copy the file in Windows Explorer. Note that the file may be named �Smarthome Manager.msi�, or it may have a generated funny name (not ha-ha funny, but �why did they do this?� funny).
- In Windows Explorer search for %temp%. Here's how: Start Windows Explorer, then enter %temp% in the Search field at the top right of the screen. You should see a number of folders; the one you're interested in is a folder named something like C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\ (where Bob is replaced with your user name). You might see the new folder you are looking for (check the date modified for the correct date), or you may need to expand the Temp folder to find it.
Now that you have found the .msi file, before exiting the SmartHome Manager installation (which deletes the setup files), copy the .msi file to a separate folder on your hard drive.

COPY OTHER INSTALLATION FILES. If this is SmartHome Manager Essential (the basic and free version), there won�t be any other files. If this is SmartHome Manager Plus, copy all files from the CD under c:\SmartHome Manager to the folder where you copied the SmartHome Manager.msi file.

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL ORCA. This is Microsoft software to edit msi files. Download just the Orca software from http://www.brentnorris.net/blog/archives/319, click on Download orca.msi. Install Orca by double-clicking on orca.msi. If you feel more comfortable downloading this from Microsoft, it�s part of the Windows Installer SDK. The URL is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905, and the downloaded files are about 300 MB. Good luck in finding Orca.

MODIFY THE INSTALLER PACKAGE. Start Orca by Start, All Programs, Orca. Open the installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi). In the left column, scroll down to LaunchCondition, and click on it. You will see "(Version9X = 410 And Not WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 410 And WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 490) OR (VersionNT = 500) OR (VersionNT = 501)" in the left column and "The operating system is not adequate for running [ProductName]." in the right. Click Edit, Cut Row(s). Save the modified file by doing File, Save. Do not do File, Save As. Exit Orca.

BACKGROUND - WHY WE USE ACT. We will be using the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT) to install the SmartHome software. Here�s why. I wasn't able to change the attributes on the .msi file to run in compatibility mode (you can do this for a .exe file, but apparently not for a .msi file). I thought it was safest to run the installation in compatibility mode, and ACT allows you to do that. Once you have installed the SmartHome Manager, you don't need ACT to run it in compatibility mode; you can just modify the file (as I explain below) to have it run in compatibility mode.

INSTALL ACT 5. Install Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5 (ACT 5). Download Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi from www.microsoft.com/downloads/, System Tools, search for ACT. Install by double-clicking on Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi We need this to be able to run the Installer in Windows XP compatibility mode.

RUN THE INSTALLATION WITH ACT. Start, All Programs, Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0, Compatibility Administrator. (Depending on the Vista setup, you may need to sign off as yourself, and sign back on as an administrator.) Click on the Fix icon in the toolbar. Enter the name of the program (SmartHome Manager Plus), and the vendor (SmartHome). Enter the location of the Windows Installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi) � you cannot browse to it, but you can enter it by entering each part of the location: First enter C:\ Then select the folder from the choices given. Next add a backslash (\). Then select the file name, etc. Click on Next. On the next page, click on Microsoft Windows XP (SP2), then click on Test Run� On the window "Test run application", click OK. Important note: This is not a test. This is the real thing. You should be installing SmartHome Manager now. If it works, exit from ACT. There is no need to save anything.

CHANGE THE SMARTHOME PROGRAM FILE TO COMPATIBILITY MODE. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the .exe file for SmartHome Manager. It should be at c:\Program Files\SmartHome\SmartHome Manager\SmartHome Manager.exe. Right-click on it, and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab, select Run this program in compatibility mode for, Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Click on OK.

START SMARTHOME MANAGER

CELEBRATE!

blueberrybob
Go to Top of Page

guenthpw
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  4:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

For me you are a first. I do a lot of trouble shooting. Naturally, I also try the applicable forums, but rarely do I find definitive answers to my problems in forums. Seems most of the people who answer are clueless with lots of time to waste, diddling without real knowledge. Generally, I find the real answers with the vendors if I can't figure it out myself. In this case neither the vendor nor myself had an answer. Instead, it was you who had the complete answer ready, obviously worked out by yourself. Not only that, the answer was presented clearly, spelled correctly ("I" instead of "i", etc.), and in correct American. Not only that, I learned about Orca and ACT 5 in the process.

In short, it was a distinct pleasure to encounter you here. I am really glad I found you.

A GREAT BIG THANKS!

Peter
quote:
Originally posted by bobfwilliams

Peter,

Great!

And thanks for the update on some of the details. It might be that SH Essential is working differently from SH Plus. I'll incorporate all your suggestions into another posting sometime this weekend, so that people don't have to check several forum entries.

Bob

Go to Top of Page

bobfwilliams
New Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  8:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter,

Thanks for your appreciative words. It's good that I'm retired and enjoy a challenge now and then.

Bob

blueberrybob
Go to Top of Page

guenthpw
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  10:51:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, Forgot to ask. Do you want me to send you the image file for the SmartHome Essential CD?

I could deposit it on the 4share.com site for you to pick up. You could do that without the need for a logon ID or password.
quote:
Originally posted by bobfwilliams

Peter,

Thanks for your appreciative words. It's good that I'm retired and enjoy a challenge now and then.

Bob

Go to Top of Page

bobfwilliams
New Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  04:10:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter,

Many thanks for the offer. I'm thinking I don't need the SH Essential version--I bought the Plus version for its extra features. And of course now I only rarely use those features. Oh well.

Bob

blueberrybob
Go to Top of Page

Thaddeus
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  7:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Thanks for working all that out and posting it. I tried it and it worked as advertised!

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Hopcoinvst
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  07:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob

A thousand thanks - your instructions made this easy - and now my SmartHome Manager Plus is happily running under Vista 64.

1) The change made in para #2 was excellent - I modified my printout as follows:

Start, Run, <location of SmartHome .exe file> /a
(i.e.: Start, Run was D:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe /a
)

2) In para #3 - when you say:

"If this is SmartHome Manager Plus, copy all files from the
CD under c:\SmartHome Manager to the folder where you copied
the SmartHome Manager.msi file."

It is implicit that one does not copy the SmartHome Manager
Setup.exe file - I would make this explicit as follows:

copy all files,BUT Setup.exe,from the CD under
c:\SmartHome Manager to the folder where you copied the
SmartHome Manager.msi file.


3) In paragraph #7 when you say:

C:\, then select the folder from the choices given, then add a \, then select the file name, etc. Click on Next"

I think it might be clearer if one were to say:


"'C:\', then select the folder name from the choices given, then add a '\', then select the file name, etc. Click on Next"

And then give an example:

"c:\SmartHome IntstallTempFolder\smarthome.msi"


And I certainly did Celebrate.







Edited by - Hopcoinvst on 10/23/2008 07:14:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

bobfwilliams
New Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  04:12:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with every suggestion - many thanks!

My next post will contain all the changes.

Bob

blueberrybob
Go to Top of Page

bobfwilliams
New Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  04:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have encountered difficulty in installing SmartHome Manager software on Vista, this may be for you. Specifically, it deals with the error message �The Operating System is not adequate for running Smarthome Manager�.

I have succeeded in setting up SmartHome Manager (it works on both versions, Essential or Plus) on Vista. Here's an outline of the problem, and very detailed instructions on how to do it.

This forum posting consolidates several previous postings (including the experience of other forum users), and although it is even longer and more foreboding, it might be somewhat clearer.

OVERVIEW OF THE ENTIRE PROCESS. The SmartHome Manager software was packaged by its developers into a setup (.exe) file using InstallShield (a very old version). InstallShield does some initial testing, then builds a Microsoft Windows Installer file. Basically what we'll be doing is modifying the Windows Installer file to remove the test for operating system. To do this, we'll need to download two pieces of software from Microsoft. We'll also change things so that the software (both the installation software and the SmartHome Manager software itself) runs in Windows XP compatibility mode on Vista. We�ll be running the installation of SmartHome software twice. The first time will fail (as it always has for you), but we�ll be able to find the Microsoft Windows Installer file and continue the installation process with that file.

Here are the details (not for the faint at heart). Where I have "Start", under Vista you just click on the Vista orb at the bottom left of your screen.

TAKE A SYSTEM CHECKPOINT. Take a system checkpoint if you feel nervous about any of this. Start, Control Panel, System, System Protection, Create, �

BACKGROUND - CREATING THE MICROSOFT WINDOWS INSTALLER FILE. When a developer uses InstallShield, a single .exe file is created, which you as the user run to install the software. When you run the .exe file, it starts InstallShield, which creates and customizes a .msi file (this is the Windows Installer file) and then runs that .msi file. Because I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to modify the .exe file (to remove that dreaded check for operating system), my approach was to run the .exe file, have it create the .msi, and capture (find and save) the .msi file. It's then pretty easy to modify the .msi file, then run it.

BACKGROUND - RUNNING THE FIRST INSTALLATION OF SMARTHOME SOFTWARE. This installation will fail, but we�ll be using an installation flag to help us find the Windows Installer file. When you run the installation without the installation flag, it fails, then cleans up everything (meaning that it deletes the .msi file). When you run it with the flag, it pauses to wait for your input. Before you give it any input, just start Windows Explorer, find the .msi file that the installation created, and save it somewhere where you can use it later.

BACKGROUND - USING THE INSTALLATION FLAG. We�ll be using the /a flag to run the first installation, which runs the installation in administrative mode. You'll need to do Start (that's the Vista globe on the bottom left, Run, then enter the location of the .exe file for the SmartHome software, which should be under a folder named �Smarthome Manager�. On my CD, which is the Plus version, it's at E:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe. Your CD or DVD drive might be D:. So what I entered in Start, Run was
Start, Run, <location of SmartHome .exe file> /a
Here's the actual example
Start, Run, E:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe /a

FIND THE WINDOWS INSTALLER FILE. You�ve now run the installation using the /a flag, and it is now waiting for your input to continue. Before you give it the go-ahead to continue (which will fail, then delete the file you are looking for), you will need to find and save off the Windows Installer file. This file has a .msi extension, and will be under the temp folder, in a newly created folder.

To find the file, you can use either a command window, or Windows Explorer. Either way, you are looking for the file in the %temp% folder. (%temp% is a variable, pointing to the real folder).
- In a command window (start with Start, Accessories, Command Prompt), cd %temp%, then do dir /ad to look at just the directories (folders). You want to find the folder with a date and time that you ran the installation. cd (that�s computerese for �change directory�) to that directory (folder), then find the Smarthome Manager.msi and copy it to somewhere safe. Or just use the location you found here to copy the file in Windows Explorer. Note that the file may be named �Smarthome Manager.msi�, or it may have a generated funny name (not ha-ha funny, but �why did they do this?� funny).
- In Windows Explorer search for %temp%. Here's how: Start Windows Explorer, then enter %temp% in the Search field at the top right of the screen. You should see a number of folders; the one you're interested in is a folder named something like C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\ (where Bob is replaced with your user name). You might see the new folder you are looking for (check the date modified for the correct date), or you may need to expand the Temp folder to find it.
Now that you have found the .msi file, before exiting the SmartHome Manager installation (which deletes the setup files), copy the .msi file to a separate folder on your hard drive.

COPY OTHER INSTALLATION FILES. If this is SmartHome Manager Essential (the basic and free version), there won�t be any other files. If this is SmartHome Manager Plus, copy all files, except for setup.exe, from the CD under c:\SmartHome Manager to the folder where you copied the SmartHome Manager.msi file.

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL ORCA. This is Microsoft software to edit msi files. Download just the Orca software from http://www.brentnorris.net/blog/archives/319, click on Download orca.msi. Install Orca by double-clicking on orca.msi. If you feel more comfortable downloading this from Microsoft, it�s part of the Windows Installer SDK. The URL is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905, and the downloaded files are about 300 MB. Good luck in finding Orca.

MODIFY THE INSTALLER PACKAGE. Start Orca by Start, All Programs, Orca. Open the installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi). In the left column, scroll down to LaunchCondition, and click on it. You will see "(Version9X = 410 And Not WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 410 And WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 490) OR (VersionNT = 500) OR (VersionNT = 501)" in the left column and "The operating system is not adequate for running [ProductName]." in the right. Click Edit, Cut Row(s). Save the modified file by doing File, Save. Do not do File, Save As. Exit Orca.

BACKGROUND - WHY WE USE ACT. We will be using the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT) to install the SmartHome software. Here�s why. I wasn't able to change the attributes on the .msi file to run in compatibility mode (you can do this for a .exe file, but apparently not for a .msi file). I thought it was safest to run the installation in compatibility mode, and ACT allows you to do that. Once you have installed the SmartHome Manager, you don't need ACT to run it in compatibility mode; you can just modify the file (as I explain below) to have it run in compatibility mode.

INSTALL ACT 5. Install Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5 (ACT 5). Download Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi from www.microsoft.com/downloads/, System Tools, search for ACT. Install by double-clicking on Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi We need this to be able to run the Installer in Windows XP compatibility mode.

RUN THE INSTALLATION WITH ACT. Start, All Programs, Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0, Compatibility Administrator. (Depending on the Vista setup, you may need to sign off as yourself, and sign back on as an administrator.) Click on the Fix icon in the toolbar. Enter the name of the program (SmartHome Manager Plus), and the vendor (SmartHome). Enter the location of the Windows Installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi) � you cannot browse to it, but you can enter it by entering separately each part of the location, then waiting for the system to respond. Here's how: First enter 'c:\', then select the folder name from the choices given. Next add a '\'. Then select the file name, etc. Here's an example, with the colors indicating the separate parts of your input: "c:\SmartHome InstallTempFolder\smarthome.msi"

Click on Next. On the next page, click on Microsoft Windows XP (SP2), then click on Test Run� On the window "Test run application", click OK. Important note: This is not a test. This is the real thing. You should be installing SmartHome Manager now. If it works, exit from ACT. There is no need to save anything.

CHANGE THE SMARTHOME PROGRAM FILE TO COMPATIBILITY MODE. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the .exe file for SmartHome Manager. It should be at c:\Program Files\SmartHome\SmartHome Manager\SmartHome Manager.exe. Right-click on it, and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab, select Run this program in compatibility mode for, Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Click on OK.

START SMARTHOME MANAGER

CELEBRATE!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
blueberrybob


blueberrybob
Go to Top of Page

frederp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  8:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone, I see you have all been busy! And so have I ;( I had SmartHome working just because of all the help from Bob and the rest of you. I was very happy. And guess what happened next? The >3 month old hard drive failed in one of two busiest weeks/year of my work life. Since this is a friendly forum, I will only say it was pretty. So it is back to the drawing board. And i have a sneaking suspicion the techie who did this Vista install on the new drive has more to learn i.e. administrator rights.
Always glad to read of your successes and break throughs.
Go to Top of Page

geobernd
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  12:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob - thank you so much.
My XP PC died so I got Vista and of course the Smarthome Issue. Just worked through your steps and got everything up and running. Thanks a million!
Go to Top of Page

frederp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  4:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geobernd

Bob - thank you so much.
My XP PC died so I got Vista and of course the Smarthome Issue. Just worked through your steps and got everything up and running. Thanks a million!

Go to Top of Page

frederp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  4:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geobernd i swear there is some subversive plan with these xp's failing. Sure hope your hard drive in the V (remember the commercial "We aren't allowed to use the V word anymore") machine stands up. Mine did not. It was a single platter style. Keep your backups!
But.... yes Bob's instructions worked the second time for me too :)
Go to Top of Page

Steve Reynolds
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2008 :  2:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The instructions look reasonably clear. Before I set out to do this, has anyone already posted a fixed up version of the installer?

Go to Top of Page

mpopps
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  07:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two old laptops that I can dedicate to HouseLinc2; one is XP and one is Vista. I was running HouseLinc(first version) on the XP machine because, well, it didn't work with Vista. I decided to try the Vista machine with HouseLinc2, and unfortunately, it didn't work. As soon as HouseLinc2 loaded, as it was trying to startup, it crashed - and I got an error message that the program had crashed. The logs showed an error when trying to communicate with the USB device caused the crash. I sent in logs to SmartHome, etc., but then I found that my Vista machine battery was dead anyway, so I moved back to my very old and very slow XP machine. But it works well with HouseLinc2 - still no word on why it crashes with Vista.

To be honest, I really like HouseLinc2. My biggest complaint is that I do not intend to pay for firewall software for this computer - I'm just using Windows firewall, and I do NOT therefore, feel safe going on-line - I just use my connection to download updates (2 so far). But HouseLinc2 help files are on Internet! Sorry guys, but I am not going to browse the web on my dedicated control computer! So - no Help files unless I search for them on a neighboring computer.
Go to Top of Page

Steve Reynolds
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  09:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob - thanks from another fan! Your instructions worked perfectly and I'm now running SmartHome Manager Plus on my Windows Home Server (HP EX470).


Edited by - Steve Reynolds on 11/30/2008 09:04:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kookyface
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  7:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Kookyface a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Bob, you just don't know how grateful I am with your intructions. Today I got SmartHome Manager Plus working on my Vista. A year ago Oct. my house was struck by lightening and all the computers got fried. The insurance replaced them with vista. I have been forcing one of the XP to try to run JUST to run my X10. I have been searching for answers since then. I printed off your instructions at the end of November and just got the chance to try it. 30 minutes and I was up and running on VISTA....WOOHOO!!!
Go to Top of Page

Athlon
New Member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  4:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob - Thank you VERY MUCH for your fine instructions!! I did it today for my new Vista Ultimate 32 and it worked great!!

I feel as though I should offer a small (but perhaps helpful) addition to this thread....

I had a problem when I got to this step:

quote:
RUN THE INSTALLATION WITH ACT. Start, All Programs, Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0, Compatibility Administrator. (Depending on the Vista setup, you may need to sign off as yourself, and sign back on as an administrator.)


I have the only account on my machine (there is not even a 'Guest' account). It kept stopping me and telling me I did not have Administrative Rights. I could not figure out how to get past that, as logging off for me would not work, as all I can do is log back on to my one and only account.

So what I did was 'right click' on the shortcut in my 'All Programs' menu and choose 'Run as administrator'. Worked like a charm!

Hope this helps someone down the road.....

Thank you again!!!!!!

Edited by - Athlon on 01/11/2009 4:46:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

ramsy3
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  10:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
blueberrybob,

Thanks to you, I am celebrating! I was able to follow your original post without any problems. Thanks so much for the many hours you spent on this. It is a shame that smarthome did not provide this for us.

Randy
Go to Top of Page

sbillard
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  3:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron

As an update, with a slight adjustment, lgmerx's patched worked great on Vista 32 Ultimate! Thanks very much for doing what Smarthome wouldn't!!!





Sent you a mail. I sure would like to get this program installed.
Go to Top of Page

jcbyte
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  4:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lgmerx

Smarthome has aptly demonstrated their total disinterest in customer support to many of us over the years. When I first got my 1132CU (in 2004), I reported numerous software bugs and made many suggestions for how they could improve their application and the basic functionality of the controller. I never even got a response from them.

Several months ago, I bought a new PC and chose Vista for it. Like others in this forum, I found SHM could not install. I didn't even bother to contact Smarthome, based on the effectiveness of that approach on earlier issues.

I am familiar with the internal similarities and differences between Vista and its predecessors, so I decided to try modifying the installation program to allow Vista as a valid target platform. After running the modified installation script, SHM installed successfully. It appears to work fine and I have been using it ever since.

If anyone would like a copy of the patched installation program, e-mail me and I'll send it to you. No warranties, but I suspect it'll install and work fine on other Vista machines.





I just joined and cant send an email. Can you send me a nessage
with file. I would appreciate it so much.

JC
Go to Top of Page

mpopps
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  07:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

I just want to clarify - is it still necessary to do all of this nonsense to install Houselinc 2 on a vista machine? Here we are something like 18 months after Houselinc 2 was released with the promise of quarterly upgrades, and - seriously - still no Vista interface? Can this possibly be true?

Here's the thing. I have Houselinc 2 running on a very old (maybe 6+ years old?) laptop running XP. Every other computer in my house (and there are many) runs vista. I was thinking of moving the software to a real computer, instead of the dedicated and dilapidated laptop it's running on, but heavens, I'm not going to go through all this nonsense just to get Houselinc 2 running on a vista machine.

I am appalled that this forum and these patches remain necessary. Can this be for real? What century are these guys living in, anyway?

Edited by - mpopps on 07/08/2009 07:25:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10707 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  07:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HouseLinc 2 does work on Vista. I've been seeing updates on HL2 with new product support being released fairly regularly--now at version .63 or similar.

This thread is about the old 1132 interface and Smarthome Manager software, both x10-only designs released before Insteon was even available.
Go to Top of Page

mpopps
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  08:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

HouseLinc 2 does work on Vista. I've been seeing updates on HL2 with new product support being released fairly regularly--now at version .63 or similar.

This thread is about the old 1132 interface and Smarthome Manager software, both x10-only designs released before Insteon was even available.



Oh, Thanks! Good to know. It didn't used to. Does it work on Windows Home server? I've been looking for documentation on what it works on (eg. WHS, Vista 64, both of which I have) but can't find any mention...
Go to Top of Page

jcbyte
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  5:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to thank bobfwilliams and all the other folks on this forum who solved a problem that Smarthome would not take the time to solve becuase they wanted to make more money. I am now running smarthome manager on vista home premium with no problems.

Again thanks to all for again making my 1132cu a usable device!

JC

JC
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07