Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Computer Interfaces
 1132CU + SmartHome + Vista Patch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

GR8PIPES
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2011 :  08:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION!No convoluted instructions that are not for the faint of heart. It really is as simple as running the .exe in compatibility mode. Here's all I did to get it to work.
Right-click on the .exe file and choose �Troubleshoot compatibility�. In a matter of seconds I have SmartHome installed and running perfectly. BTW: I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. Big thanks to kjb4zz

quote:
Originally posted by ronks

Hoo-ee! Just got Smarthome Manager installed on my new Windows 7 system. (If anyone is keeping track, it's the Manager Plus version on a 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate.) Thanks to everyone for the thorough advice and suggestions. I used the "Troubleshoot compatibility" option, but blueberrybob's guidelines were my backup in case.

One small point I can add to the discussion: if you have the Smarthome Manager CD, you might be tempted to execute install.exe from its home directory; that gave me an error over the .ini file. What worked was to go down one level to the "Smarthome Manager" folder and run setup.exe directly from there.

J Brian Washman
Go to Top of Page

sbcnslt

30 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  08:38:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobfwilliams

If you have encountered difficulty in installing SmartHome Manager software on Vista, this may be for you. Specifically, it deals with the error message �The Operating System is not adequate for running Smarthome Manager�.

I have succeeded in setting up SmartHome Manager (it works on both versions, Essential or Plus) on Vista. Here's an outline of the problem, and very detailed instructions on how to do it.

The SmartHome Manager software was packaged into a setup (.exe) file using InstallShield (a very old version). InstallShield does some initial testing, then builds a Microsoft Windows Installer file. Basically what we'll be doing is modifying the Installer file to remove the test for operating system. To do this, we'll need to download two pieces of software from Microsoft. We'll also change things so that the software (both the installation software and the SmartHome Manager software itself) runs in Windows XP compatibility mode on Vista.

Here are the details (not for the faint at heart). Where I have "Start", under Vista you just click on the Vista orb at the bottom left of your screen.

� Take a system checkpoint if you feel nervous about any of this. Start, Control Panel, System, System Protection, Create, �

� Extract Windows Installer package for SmartHome Manager software. We can't modify the .exe file itself, so we let the .exe file create a .msi file, which we can modify. Start, Run, <location of SmartHome .exe file> /a The /a runs the installation in administrative mode, which creates the Windows installer package from Smarthome, then pauses to allow the user to approve continuing. This allows us to find and extract the SmartHome Manager Windows installer package (the file name is SmartHome Manager.msi). To find the package, in a command window cd %temp%, or in Windows Explorer search for %temp%. Look for a folder very recently created, and with a funny (not ha-ha) name. Before exiting the SmartHome Manager installation (which deletes the setup files), copy the Smarthome Manager.msi to a separate folder on your hard drive.

� Copy other installation files. If this is SmartHome Manager Essential (the basic and free version), there won�t be any other files. If this is SmartHome Manager Plus, copy all files from the CD under c:\SmartHome Manager to the folder where you copied the SmartHome Manager.msi file.

� Download and install Orca. This is Microsoft software to edit msi files. Download just the Orca software from http://www.brentnorris.net/blog/archives/319, click on Download orca.msi. Install Orca by clicking on orca.msi. If you feel more comfortable downloading this from Microsoft, it�s part of the Windows Installer SDK, the URL is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905, and the downloaded files are about 300 MB. Good luck in finding Orca.

� Modify Installer Package. Start Orca by Start, All Programs, Orca. Open the installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi). In the left column, scroll down to LaunchCondition, and click on it. You will see "(Version9X = 410 And Not WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 410 And WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 490) OR (VersionNT = 500) OR (VersionNT = 501)" in the left column and "The operating system is not adequate for running [ProductName]." in the right. Click Edit, Cut Row(s). Save the modified file by doing File, Save. Do not do File, Save As. Exit Orca.

� Install ACT 5. Install Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5 (ACT 5). Download Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi from www.microsoft.com/downloads/, System Tools, search for ACT. Install by double-clicking on Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi We need this to be able to run the Installer in Windows XP compatibility mode.

� Run installation with ACT. Start, All Programs, Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0, Compatibility Administration. Click on the Fix icon in the toolbar. Enter the name of the program (SmartHome Manager Plus), and the vendor (SmartHome). Enter the location of the Windows Installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi) � you cannot browse to it, but you can enter it by entering each part of the location: C:\, then select the folder from the choices given, then add a \, then select the file name, etc. Click on Next. On the next page, click on Microsoft Windows XP (SP2), then click on Test Run� On the window "Test run application", click OK. This is not a test. This is the real thing. You should be installing SmartHome Manager now. If it works, exit from ACT. There is no need to save anything.

� Change the SmartHome program file to compatibility mode. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the .exe file for SmartHome Manager. It should be at c:\Program Files\SmartHome\SmartHome Manager\SmartHome Manager.exe. Right-click on it, and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab, select Run this program in compatibility mode for, Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Click on OK.

� Start SmartHome Manager.

� Celebrate.

It's a good thing I'm retired. This took me many dozens of hours to figure out.

Let me know if any of this is unclear.

Bob,

I followed your instructions for installing the Snarthome Manager on Vista. After using Orca and deleteing the line I launced ACT pointed to the MSI and clicked next. The message I get is This version supports compatability fixes to 32 bit apps. Use the 64 bit tool to fix your 64 bit app. I guess Orca saved the MSI as a 64 bit MSI. I checked Orca's setting and found no save as 32 bit. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

mar
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2018 :  2:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to bobfwilliams post on how to modify the .msi installer file I was able to get Smarthome Manager Plus CD for 1132CU installed under win10. My only issues is that the user created *.shm files are NOT being stored in the dir that the pgm files got installed in. Win10 seems to be storing them in some hidden location that eludes me attempts to locate using searches and explorer. I suspect this has something to due with how win10 wants to separate pgm code & data and all the "junction points"(aka sysmlinks) that it established to run older pgms. I did figure out that if I turned on win xp compatibility mode for the manager.exe file that the *.shm files DO get stored in the program file (x86) along with the pgm files just like they did when using the old xp os. It's a little unsettling that I could not locate where the data files are being stored, they are NOT in AppData. Hence I am not sure if I should just ignore this fact and let windows do what it wants or if it would be better to turn on the xp compatibility mode for the .exe start file. This is more of a general question on how to best run older pgms under win10 and it's pgm/data storage concepts more so than issues with smarthome manager plus.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5948 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2018 :  5:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you got it going.
Thank you for reporting your findings.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly