Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 smoke detection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hawaiiguy
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  12:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a property separate from my home, and I would like to know if there's an outdoor fire threatening my structures. I came across an app called Smokey. When installed in a smartphone, it enables the smartphone to "hear" the sound of a smoke detector and then send a text message to another phone. And it's free. However, it seems wifi is required. I don't see the need for wifi (which I don't have at my other property). A smoke detector doesn't need wifi to make a sound, and phones send text messages without wifi. Obviously I'm missing something. Can anyone explain?

SeanM
Administrator

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  06:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its true that your phone doesn't need Wi-Fi to send SMS messages because the phone is using its 3G/4G/LTE connection. This is much more expensive to maintain, and/or would require the need for a SIM card in the product you buy, which adds the cost of a monthly cellular subscription. This is why you will find most products use some sort of Wi-Fi set up.

If you cannot find a LTE enabled smoke alarm set up you could always try a small wireless hotspot. That would allow those Wi-Fi smoke detectors to get to the internet and you could get your text messages.
Go to Top of Page

hawaiiguy
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  11:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information. Not sure which way to go. I can get a smart phone from Consumer Cellular for $25, install the Smokey app for free, and buy a smoke alarm for various prices (all boasting a ten percent failure rate. All face east and salute China). I find the wireless hotspot to be confusing. Not sure how it works, but I assume it will work where there is no wi-fi available. Seems to be only one available for a reasonable price ($75).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page