Looking for Recommendations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

friedfishy
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  09:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Send friedfishy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Everyone

Fairly new to the world of Smart Link switches and outlets. I'm looking for some recommendations.

I have two separate outlets outside (separate circuits) attached to side of house run using 14/3 wire. I typically plug in my car (block-heater - which from information on the net can be around a 800W load) and then on the other outlet I power some Christmas lights.

I'm tired of having to plug them in all the time (and my wife is yelling at me as I'm always stepping on her frozen flower garden).

I was thinking of tapping into the 14/3 line running those outlets and running some 14/3 up to my porch and install two smart switches that I can control those outlets with (my hope anyways). Can you make a recommendation for this - something that would support the 800W load? I'm not the most knowledgeable but I see a lot of these switches max out at 600W Incandescent - but I believe the block heater is a resistive load so I wouldn't have any problems as long as its rated for 15A?

I was also reading through some of the forums and it looks like another option might be to just install smart-outlets outside. Would you recommend this and if so what type? I'm in a cold-arse climate where temps can normally hit -40C.

Thanks
-ff

friedfishy

stusviews

USA
15838 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  11:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Both ot these have a 15 amp capacity for inductive loads (e.g., heater), the former has a 600 watt capacity for lighting and the latter can handle 1800 watts: Wired in outlet, plug-in outlet. Both/either can be controlled using a Mini Remote, so there's no need to add any wiring.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

friedfishy
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  12:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Send friedfishy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you!

Couple questions I had; When it says a Insteon Dual-Band device, does that mean a hub is required for it to work via smartphone or will it work through wifi internet?

The plug-in version states it's only reliable up to -20C, which wouldn't be sufficient in my neck of the woods unfortunately - would be tacky anyways but nonetheless still gets me thinking about other ways to factor these in the house eventually! Do you know if the wired in outlet has those temperature restrictions by chance?

friedfishy
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

214 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  3:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All insteon devices require some type of hub to use the internet.

The outdoor module operates in the greatest range of temperatures since it was designed to be used outside. The indoor modules top out at 32f I believe (or something close to that). You can find their full specs on the smarthome product page.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15838 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  3:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FWIW, users in Minnesota and Alaska have posed success using the outdoor on/off outlet in really, really cold climates. YMMV.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page