Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Computer Interfaces
 QAIO Smart Mirror
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheGemmaGeek
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2018 :  11:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone else who is interested with QAIO Smart Mirrors like me? Or an owner of this mirror? Wanna know your thoughts! Thank you so much.

Tuicemen
Average Member

Canada
63 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  08:53:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why not make your own?
There are tons of how to videos on YouTube.
or google Magic mirrors.
There are also lots of android apps available for this, most have an old smart phone or tablet laying around.
I plan on making one for an info/control center for my HA setup.
Go to Top of Page

TheGemmaGeek
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  10:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestion, I checked that out already. That's freakin awesome and cheaper but the problem is I'm not a techy person, I can't even understand the setting up manual. LOL
Meanwhile, some mirrors are in complete package already. I think this magic mirror has limited features? I mean you will be needing to install something so you can access or do something like those
expensive smart mirrors?
Go to Top of Page

martine290
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  10:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also want a smart mirror but i always ask myself why i need it. Maybe because i want to impress my guests, idk. maybe it's just me. But man they're not cheap!
Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen
Average Member

Canada
63 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  05:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I actually started to look into Magic Mirrors again.
Pi Zero W can be found for under $15, I have an old working led monitor in the basement collecting dust as well as tons of wood laying around.
I also have a few old tablets laying arround.
You can find two way mirror samples for Under a $1 and acrylic is cheap.
I have most things needed just collecting dust so I know I can build two for just the price of the glass( or Acrylic)
Looks like a nice inexpensive winter project.

The Magic mirror forum https://forum.magicmirror.builders/
has lots of helpful members and posts so even none techy users should be able to put one together.
Understanding different programing languages is not require however it would help if you were to attempt making your own info module for the mirror.
But even then there are several programers there that are more then happy to create something for you free of charge.
Just going through the threads of user mirror photos will inspire almost anyone.
The current list of available addon info modules is mind boggling.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page