Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 KeypadLinc & Garage Door Control Kit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

naz
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  4:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Experts,

I recently purchased and installed a I/O Linc Garage Door Control and Status Kit. I added the device to my Insteon Hub and all is working fine.

I do, however, need some help/advice in programming the KeypadLinc to work with the I/O link on my Insteon Hub. I would like a button on my KeypadLinc to act as a responder and controller based on the status of the sensor on the I/O Linc. That is, if the button is lit, then garage door is open. Pressing the lit button will close the door and turn off the button light. I also understand if the button is not lit, pressing will cause it to open and thus turn on the button light. I have programmed similar device functionality on the Hub as a scene but wanted to make sure I get it right before proceeding. Please advise.

Thanks,
Naz

oberkc

USA
3745 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  6:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the IOLinc sensor LED light up when the door is open or closed? (I like ON = OPEN and assume this is how yours is working.)

I don't use the hub, so the exact steps via the hub I am hoping you can figure out. Basically:

- link the sensor as controller and keypad button as responder
- link the keypad button as controller and relay as responder
- configure the IOLinc relay to respond only to ON commands, momentary mode (could also use both ON or OFF, but I like it only responding to ON)
- configure the keypad button as non-toggle, sending only ON commands for each button press

If all goes according to plan, pressing the keypad button will send the ON command and momentarily trigger the relay, activating the door. Pressing the button will also cause the button to turn on and become illuminated, regardless of the prior condition. If the door opens, the button will remain illuminated. If the door was moving and is now stopped (partially open), the button will remain illuminated. If the door closes, the button will turn off when the sensor turns off. The only way for the button to be off is for the sensor to command it so, which gives one a level of confidence that button OFF=closed.

Go to Top of Page

kdjerred

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  10:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My keypad operates my I/O Link Garage door controller just like you are wanting to program yours and it works. I use the hub as well and it's important to set the I/O link's options correctly before your scene will work as desired. These I/O link settings work for me:
Momentary : checked
Momentary duration: 2 sec
On or off closes the relay: checked
Sensor triggers relay: no
Check sensor before triggering: no
Sensor sends off when closed: checked

Then when creating the scene:
Scene members: keypad button set as BOTH. and ON
Set the I/O link as BOTH and ON

In this configuration, the Sensor will send ON and OFF for an openend and closed Garage door to control the keypad button light, even if you use your car remote or the original garage door button without actually pressing the keypad button. As OBERKC said, you need to cycle your keypad button to non-toggle-on by the 3 button hold method. Remember to actually open and close your door once to get the correct display of the button light if it isn't correct initially .. the sensor needs to send on and off so the button displays the correct status.

Go to Top of Page

naz
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2018 :  07:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, guys. Got it working fine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: