Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Dimmer Wall Plug Shuts off every few seconds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

[email protected]
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  8:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve used the wall plugs for quite sometime. For the most part they work very well. But one thing that pisses me off is when trying to turn on/off something that is not a lightbulb. Such as a Christmas tree, or an air purifier. If the load is strong enough it works just fine. If not, the devices just cycles on and off every few seconds... continuously. Very irritating.

I’ve managed to use a power strip to add more load, but the problem persists when it is too light. I understand this isn’t the intended use, but does anyone know a workaround for this? To keep a light load such as a small air purifier on?

Please help.

Edited by - [email protected] on 10/10/2018 8:34:57 PM

BLH
Advanced Member

5836 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  03:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2472DWH is designed for incandescent loads only.
Has the key you add to the lamps plug. So the user is responsible for connecting correct loads to it and to allow a dimmer on an outlet. Normally an electrical code thing.

Don't use the outlet for the purifier. The air purifier probably has a inductive motor and power supply in it. Running it on the dimmer outlet even at 100% On. The purifier, the outlet or both can be damaged. It may also be falsely triggering the Load Sensing feature in the outlet.

If the lights are LED Christmas lights. They are low current and the Load Sensing feature in the outlet. Maybe supplying enough current to keep them partially On or falsely triggering it back On. As you have found out. Increasing the load so it swamps the current when off. Will correct it. Smarthome does not list the minimum current needed to keep the outlet's triac dimmer happy. So by adding more load. You probably raised the current enough to keep it happy.

The full users manual in the troubleshooting pages. Indicates you can disable the Local Control Sensing. If your controller supports setting such things. That may help. The current would still be there but ignored. So low current things like LED Christmas light may glow dimly when Off.

Edited by - BLH on 10/11/2018 09:43:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

silverton38

Canada
393 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2018 :  7:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2472DWH is good with DIMMABLE LED lights as well as incandescent loads. It is not good for non dimmable lights or any appliance of any kind. Most Christmas lights are not dimmable.

Edited by - silverton38 on 10/14/2018 06:28:42 AM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page