Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Fixing broken links in INSTEON devices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gunn

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  11:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had Insteon devices for more than 10 years. I now have around 35 devices in total. And I have had some issues for awhile now, and I'm thinking they are starting to interfere with things I want do to.

On several lights switches, I notice that when I turn off a switch, after a few seconds, the switch LED's will blink red quite a few times. I've read this means I have broken links from devices I no longer have. Well, over the course of this 10+ years, there have sure been some failures of several switches, some failed Fanlincs, and I've had a total of three Insteon Hubs now.

I have considered doing a whole house factory reset of all devices and starting from scratch. But I'm sure you can appreciate how difficult and tedious that would be!

I have found some Python scripts on the internet that I would consider, except they are programmed to run on Linux, which I don't have.

What other options do I have? I'm very surprised Insteon doesn't have something (like the old HouseLinc IIRC) that would discover broken links and help remove them, and otherwise clean up each device so that they perform optimally.

In the end, I'm trying to get the openHAB software to work and I'm running into issues with the Insteon plug-in that I think may be related to my broken links.

Thanks,

BLH
Advanced Member

5945 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  3:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you using the manual linking method with set button pushes or maybe a HUB. As I saw your posts in the Insteon Forums.

Edited by - BLH on 03/11/2019 3:21:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3892 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  6:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the ISY-994 and can tell you that it has such an option to remove broken links, but am not sure about other hubs. Of course, if you are not using it already, you would be faced with a rather large task of moving your devices from your current hub.

Edited by - oberkc on 03/11/2019 6:06:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Gunn

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2019 :  05:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using the hub with the Insteon for Hub app on an Android phone to do all of my configurations. Of course in the pre-Hub days, I did do manual linking...

I would consider going to the ISY system, but at around ~$200, that's a rather expensive purchase for just trying to clean up the Insteon mesh network. I might have to just waste a weekend just to go around and factory reset -everything-!

I can't believe Insteon doesn't have something for just this purpose. But then again, there are a lot of deficiencies in the Insteon product line...

The Insteon forum over at www.insteon.com doesn't seem to get much traffic; hence the cross-post.

Thanks,

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10706 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2019 :  10:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, too, miss the *replace device* feature present in more sophisticated controllers, that has come in handy more than a couple of times.

In the meantime, I would not do a whole-house reset unless you have an ISY (where you can reset and restore a device pretty quickly). If a controller isn’t giving you the red blink when you tap it to control a scene, it isn’t causing any errors or signal retransmits, so there’s no benefit to a reset. There is no need to mess with responder-only devices either, since extra *responder* links to devices no longer installed are inert and harmless.

Once I narrowed the problem down to just a few devices, I would handle them one at a time:

—Factory reset a switch, but *don’t delete it from the Hub.* Confirm the reset was successful by tapping the switch. Responders will still respond (because you haven’t modified the responder links), but the indicator should no longer blink red when you turn the switch on.

—Add the device back to the Hub—that will recreate a controller link in the switch back to the Hub and re-enable notifications.

—Go into that switch’s device settings, tap Scenes, and, one at a time, go into each scene. If the switch is a Responder in that scene, adjust the dim percentage by a point or two and save changes, that will cause the Hub to rewrite all of that scene’s links to the switch. If the switch is a Controller or Both in that scene, remove the switch from the scene, save, then go back and re-add it for the Hub to link everything back up.

Wash-rinse-repeat for just the other switches that blink red. Then remember to follow this process when you replace a device in the future, when it is just one device and a minor inconvenience. Don’t wait until you’ve done several and it becomes a big hassle!
Go to Top of Page

DigitalJim
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2019 :  02:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lack of a diagnostic tool really frustrates me too,
Although not supported, I’ve successfully used Houselinc to find the broken links. although it doesn’t recognize or control some of the newer devices, it does show links.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page