Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Insteon Sense Wires
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

erlanning
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2020 :  5:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello.
I am asking about the Sense wires on the Insteon Micro Switch.

Can I pass any Voltage under 120 or under into the Sense wires?

My idea is to wire a thermostat to the sense wires of the micro switch, in effect making the micro switch a relay. The Thermostat is 24 Volts AC, so I figure if the Thermostat is acting as a switch and as it opens or closes indicates to the Micro Dimmer that it should come on.

Does this make sense?

oberkc

USA
4094 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2020 :  5:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Does this make sense?

Pun intended?

My impression, from the instructions, are that the sense wires are looking for standard household voltages.
Go to Top of Page

erlanning
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2020 :  5:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That raises another question... Those sense wire are 24AWG, generally used for speaker or low voltage wire... I know the wiring diagram indicates that it should take the current coming through the switch from the line... But has anyone actually tried this? I am afraid it would fry the wire.

quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

quote:
Does this make sense?

Pun intended?

My impression, from the instructions, are that the sense wires are looking for standard household voltages.

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6156 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2020 :  03:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sense inputs are a high impedance and do not draw much current. So 24AWG is fine. Probably in the mA range. If you can read the fine print on the wire itself. I know 24AWG markings are real fine to read. It is probably marked 300 volts.

The Sense input as you pointed out is from the Line Input to the Sense Input. This is referenced to the Neutral Input.

Trying to send 120 VAC through the thermostat that is referenced to the common 24VAC control. Could be dangerous and possibly damage some of the equipment

Or are you thinking a mechanical or battery powered thermostat all alone not on a 24VAC system? I would worry about the 120VAC being switched maybe to high a voltage for its internal wiring and switches.

Maybe you could add a 24VAC relay to the thermostat wiring and use it to switch the 120VAC Sensing On and Off. To isolate the 120VAC module Sensing from the 24VAC control circuit.

Edited by - BLH on 05/23/2020 03:32:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4094 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2020 :  03:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Those sense wire are 24AWG, generally used for speaker or low voltage wire

Not unlike the size of the wire on my voltage meter, which can handle voltages much higher than 120V. Small wire is fine for small current.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page