Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Fanlink and fan with multiple motor wires
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GLAV

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2020 :  7:42:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit GLAV's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've installed dozens of fanlinks for customers and have never seen this. They have 2 different fans made by Monte Carlo and they have 2 wires for the light (blue and white) and 3 wires for the motor labeled: U - Red, V - Purple, and W - Brown. Any ideas on how or if these can be connected? Trying to control with a Fanlink with 6 button keypad. Thanks

oberkc

USA
4111 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2020 :  04:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like the wires that normally go into a capacitor. Did this fan work before, using a different switch? If so, how was it wired?
Go to Top of Page

GLAV

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  5:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit GLAV's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its a new house with new fans. They are connected to a regular wall switch that stays on. Its standard white/black/red/ground 14/3 romex to the fan box. The fans are currently connected to the original factory remote controls units. The remote control units have wire harnesses that just snap into the fan wiring. I've just never seen that many wires on the actual fan before.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4111 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2020 :  03:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The fans are currently connected to the original factory remote controls units.

I see. There is already a remote control receiver in the fan unit. I cannot say whether this will work, but I would simply leave the existing remote in place (keeping it set to HIGH speed and light full bright and hiding the remote control transmitter). Add the fanlinc between the romex and existing receiver
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6191 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2020 :  03:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you vary the fans speed and direction of air flow, with the remote control?

Some of the new fans use a DC motor and control it with a DC speed control. A DC motor will not work with a Fanlinc and having it vary the AC into the existing remote receiver may not work. Have not seen anything specific on your fans in a search.

Keep us in the loop as you find more information as you try things.

Edited by - BLH on 07/03/2020 04:03:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

GLAV

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2020 :  10:03:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit GLAV's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, direction and speed are all controlled by the factory remote but the customers want the ability to use Alexa voice control and don't care about the remote functionality. I'll look a little closer at the fans and see if they are DC motors. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6191 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2020 :  10:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can find a model number of the fans. That could give help and determining connections.
Go to Top of Page

auger66

31 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2020 :  8:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically, Insteon fan controllers only work with AC motors. Most new fans are DC with integrated controllers.

I recently did a gut renovation of a condo. I wanted to make sure the new fans would natively work with Insteon. When shopping for fans, you usually have to drill down to the installation instructions to see what is what. If there is a replaceable module and a mechanical switch to reverse direction, it's AC and will work. Sometimes, it will say AC motor in the description. Regardless, check the installation instructions.

For example, I bought Torsion fans by Modern Fan Company from Lumens. I've installed three of these, and they all work perfectly. No hum; no issues. Amazing LED dimming ability with the Insteon controller. If you want to reverse the rotation, you have to get up there an flip the switch. Living in FL, I never do.

The Torsion fans come with one more wire than are available on the Insteon fan controller. After looking at it, I realized the light and fan had separate neutrals.

This is probably what the OP has. I combined the two fan/light neutrals to the one Insteon controller neutral (and house neutral, of course) and was good to go. So in my case, there are four neutrals connected together. The Insteon fan controller inserted right into the space the original controller would have been.

Going that direction adds a lot of expense. You're tossing the fan's remote and controller for an Insteon fan controller and keypad. However, you now have a completely integrated system. That's what I did three times. It wants what it wants . . .

Another way is to use an Insteon on/off switch. If you only use one speed, the integrated DC controller will probably remember its last setting and will go to it when powered on. A much cheaper solution, especially if the fan is already installed. You can use the original wireless controller/remote to make adjustments as long as it's not too frequent or inconvenient for the user.

Edited by - auger66 on 07/06/2020 11:47:41 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page